Alfasud racecar build

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Mufasa

Re: Alfasud racecar build

Post by Mufasa »

That is just stunning!
05Alfa1662.0GrigioGeo-Daily
03Alfa1561.8Sportwagon-BluCosmo
01Alfa1663.0Manual-Proteo Rosso
99Alfa1662.5V6GrigioNettuno-Track Car
84Alfasud1.5GoldCloverleafFlorentineCopper

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

I thought I would update this thread for anyone wondering what the hell happened. Since I started this project 3 years ago quite a lot has changed and life has moved on. The Sud was put on the back-burner while the Z4 GT4 was rebuilt. That is nearing completion but in the meantime I have got more and more into hill-climbing and tarmac rallies. Last year I competed in the Targa Tasmania in a Renault Clio (Now sold to pay for the Z4) and it was awesome! 2000 kms and five days of competition in some of the most breathtaking scenery on stages up and down mountains and through towns. You can see a clip of the Clio here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkEAdIT5eE&t=140s

I think I find hillclimbs and rallies a more relaxing affair, not having to worry about what some other idiot is going to do, just you against the clock. I can also drive the car to and from events so no trailer or tow car.

So back to the Sud. We hit a bit of a snag with the inboard 4 pots. I needed to stick with inboards for the series I planned to do. But now I am not going back to racing we are going to swap it to outboards. The car is nearly complete and will be finished once the Z4 is done. I did consider changing it to a historic rally car, but it would have meant a lot of changes and pretty much paying for the car twice. I visited it back in February and it looks awesome but I have pretty much decided to finish it and sell it. I am sentimental about it so it's not a done deal. But I have the Z4 and I have now also bought a Giulia Super which I plan to build into a rally car (Does anyone have a Alfa 75 Twin Spark engine lying around?) and have my daughter co-drive. I also have a certain 155 that need rebuilding. I did consider coinciding a trip to the UK with a Cadwell round of ARCA for one last Hurrah but the costs involved to do one race and the fact that none of the old faces are there any more, it just isn't worth it. I will be sad to see it go but I have to practical about it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
64319136_1065353210519497_584426748406398976_n.jpg
62649239_621775361669192_2826693508516020224_n.jpg
50.jpg
s-l16001.jpg
The future rally bus.

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

pm sent about 75 twin spark engine, - this is a great Sud, I'm sure it will find a good home !
John.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

All the best Gary.
Come over to the dark side and try a bit more rallying

Rsfruitbat

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Hi Gary, I’ve seen the sud a few times, I was at Daves about a month ago. It looks great. The z4 had been painted and I took a quick look at Tarquini hiding at the back.

If you are selling the sud you might want to check the regs on a few classic series over here, might be worth sticking to inboards for that reason.

The 16v would rule it out if any uk classic series tho except thunder saloons, so might want to consider that also. Thunder saloons are big power., lee penn and adie Hawkins have run in it with supercharged 16v.

If you’re keeping it then do it as you want to it. :D

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Veesix75 wrote:Hi Gary, I’ve seen the sud a few times, I was at Daves about a month ago. It looks great. The z4 had been painted and I took a quick look at Tarquini hiding at the back.

If you are selling the sud you might want to check the regs on a few classic series over here, might be worth sticking to inboards for that reason.

The 16v would rule it out if any uk classic series tho except thunder saloons, so might want to consider that also. Thunder saloons are big power., lee penn and adie Hawkins have run in it with supercharged 16v.

If you’re keeping it then do it as you want to it. :D
Hey Tim,

Yeah, the 16v engine rules it out of classics apart from thunders anyway, but it would be eligible for ARCA and The Alfa Romeo Challenge in Europe. With 250 bhp and 800 and something Kgs it would be a weapon in most 2L classes and pretty unique.

I could be wrong but I think the Lee Penn car isn't supercharged?

Cheers

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I think you are right, Lee isn’t supercharged and he finishes top ten.

The CSCC have some classes that it could fit in also I think.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Why not put another seat in it and use the Su D for rallying?
In the open classes it will work around engine cc,s

Rsfruitbat

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

rsfruitbat wrote:Why not put another seat in it and use the Su D for rallying?
In the open classes it will work around engine cc,s

Rsfruitbat
I have considered it. But it would need more changes than just putting in an extra seat. The biggest factor is the engine is too peaky for rally use and it revs too high for the kind of long distances I will be doing. The fuel injection wouldn't be legal over here either.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

That's such a shame after all the work that's gone into it

Rsfruitbat