CTCRC Pre 83 Rockingham

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
justsuds

Re: CTCRC Pre 83 Rockingham

Post by justsuds »

Great thread this, I really love the joy, enthusiasm, the helpfulness of other people, and the honesty and lack of bulls**t, really refreshing, - reflects the forum generally.
John.

Oxfordshire driver

Post by Oxfordshire driver »

Some sort of video at last!
This is from inside the SC, car 16, race 2 on Sunday.

video https://www.dropbox.com/s/v20249cwc9ifv ... r.mp4?dl=0

Results for the weekend
Naughty Duncan was underweight in the Sprint by 15kg so we all moved up a place in Sunday's result! Thanks Duncan :P
TSL all results-1.jpg
TSL all results-2.jpg
TSL all results-3.jpg
TSL all results-4.jpg
TSL all results-5.jpg
Duncan, come and explain yourself.

All the best
Malcolm

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Good start Malcolm, it's only when the powerful cars get round the corner they pull away.

I struggled to hear the gears, but there times when it sounded like you were losing traction in some of the less tight corners even, but not at full revs. Assume you don't have a lsd (I don't have one either).

Also, might be an illusion on the video, but your car looks like there is body roll in the bends, which isn't necessarily an issue as a friend is far quicker than me and he likes his 33 softer.

Remind me what the rpm your max power is on the rollers, and what you are revving it to on the day.

Simon, I saw your question re carbs on the sprint, one thing to consider is how drivable the injection makes the car some of which might be lost on carbs. Unless full race you could probably use 40's with bigger chokes rather than 44's or 45's. Is the sprint chipped? And try upping the rev limiter to 7.5k.

I'll dig out some quick lap times for the old class D 16v 33's which would have similar spec to yours, albeit a few might have been on the edge of the rules.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Well, to Duncans credit he is already close to the quicker times at Rockingham in the Sprint, 1:41's being the fastest I could find.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Thanks Malcolm for the clip. Great seeing the same race from different cars.
That Mini was just as cheeky as Duncan. :lol:
Great you all had a good couple of days.
Cheers.

BS25

Post by BS25 »

I'm pretty sure it's a quaife lsd but would agree there's a good amount of traction loss exciting the slower corners - I suspect the roll is lessening the effect of the lsd. For being softer, the SC doesn't look to be riding the kerbs as well as the Trofeo.

I think you were losing chunks of time by following the rules. What I mean by that is you were slowing for the yellow flags at Gracelands where perhaps others were slowing a little less. I've lost time like this - doing the right thing - but the rules do say 'slow down'.

I'll go to the other thread and answer the 16v carbs question - looks like a little extra power will be required in the Sprint.....to cover the ballast :-)

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the fuel tank tip. Really helpful.

Brgds,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Fuel tank pic.....courtesy of Bryan

download/file.php?id=3288&mode=view

BS25

Post by BS25 »

That's what we used to use in the modified Sud (as Tim mentioned, it was foam filled) and then initially in the 33 - we had to go to a larger tank for 30 minute races at the time so designed and had an aluminium one made. As Tim mentioned, it was foam filled. Our current aluminium tank also has pick up traps in two places to help counter the possibilities of starvation (a little more pronounced on slicks).

Fuel consumption wise we used to work on 1 litre of fuel for every 2 miles for the 8 valve engine (only ever run on carbs). I calculate what my lap times should be (allowing for getting up to speed in qualifying or a standing start lap in the race) and from that work out number of laps and therefore likely distance covered in that session - 20 miles = 10 litres, etc. For a safety margin we run a float of 5 litres - we've never run out of fuel :-)

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Bryan,

Thats great thanks. We have a 20 litre tank in the Sprint and fill it 3/4 full and haven't run out yet but no science behind it.
It looks like a 20 litre tank for me for the Trofeo. Great to have some figures to get the fuel load correct for each circuit.

All the best,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

You might use a bit more on carbs than the sprint.....I work on 8 mile per gallon to be safe, which is almost the same as Bryan's 2 mile per litre. It can vary at different circuits.

I always fill mine, I'm not good enough to worry about an extra 5kg of fuel.... :D

Oxfordshire driver

Morning Keith
Your beautiful Sud didn't go unnoticed in the car park at Rockingham!
Here is a Twitter link, just scroll down and you will find it..
https://twitter.com/MotoringPodcast

Regards,
Malcolm

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Thanks Malcolm, good job it was clean !! :lol:

I see you got on there as well in an action shot. There is a lot of love for the little Alfas.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,

Im not good enough so I do have to worry about 5KG of fuel :D

All the best,
Simon

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Kegsti66 wrote:Thanks Malcolm, good job it was clean !! :lol:

I see you got on there as well in an action shot. There is a lot of love for the little Alfas.

Hi Keith,

Here is the video you requested from Tony Crates - the MK2 Lotus Cortina driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Ks3c7 ... e=youtu.be
Rockingham Apr 2016.jpg

Brgds,
Simon

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cheers Simon,
I knew it was worth asking him.
Your Trofeo can really change direction sharp now , and it was great to see the Suds dancing in front of Tony.
Brilliant !!
Another late night !! :roll: :lol:

Oxfordshire driver

Bear with it, there are some Suds in there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy484hz ... e=youtu.be