Big Inboard Brakes

An area for Alfa Racers to share their experiences and plans, along with technical specs and details (if willing!) of their beloved cars.
Marlow Sud

Big Inboard Brakes

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,

The standard inboard discs were overheating at Donnington giving us major concern approaching the hairpin bend.
Alfascozia kindly gave us the heads-up on where to source vented discs and four pot calipers for replacing the standard inboard setup. The clever bit is mounting the calipers correctly on the gearbox. Tom at BLS made a caliper mount pattern and then a production standard mount was drawn up and made in aerospace grade alloy which is stronger than most stainless steels. The brakes will be fitted in the next couple of weeks. Pics as follows:
Pattern mount in steel
Pattern mount in steel
Production mount in aerospace alloy
Production mount in aerospace alloy
Caliper
Caliper
Caliper and vented disc
Caliper and vented disc
If anyone wants this setup then Tom can sort it for you. We will let you know how it performs after the first race in 2016.
Brgds
Simon

Kegsti66

Re: Big Inboard Brakes

Post by Kegsti66 »

Looks great Simon, very nice looking installation, good luck with testing.

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

That is quality engineering.
Hope the set-up performs as well as it looks! 8-)

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

I've got a set of vented discs with spacers in the middle of std calipers waiting to go on when I fit the 1.7 8v engine

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Alfachris,
I think I remember Tom telling me that BLS used to do that modification and it worked very well.
I am going for the four pot calipers because I need to out-brake other cars which have better straight line acceleration as my car is 1300cc.

brgds
Simon

alfachris

Post by alfachris »

You've got a very nice set up.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Fingers crossed it works Alfachris. It looks good but you can get it wrong. The guys at Hitec said not to go for the 6 pot calipers as several customers had found them too powerful and gone back to 4 pot. I will also have the little brake cooling dustpans feeding air into the eye of each vented disc. That cooling makes a significant difference in our experience with the solid inboard discs. Should be even better with the vented discs centrifuging the cooling air from the centre of the disc to the outer radius.
Brgds
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Does the Trofeo have a brake bias valve fitted Simon? If not I'd put one in to help stop the fronts locking up.

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Tim,

The Trofeo does have a brake bias valve but it only reduces brake pressure to the rear brakes. ;)
I have a standard master cylinder and 8J wheels so I reckon I will be alright but if the fronts do lock up I won't push the brake pedal so hard :D

Next up is fitting Leda adjustable shockers with adjustable top mounts, lowering and stiffening the whole car. Ted suggested this when he first saw the car at Cadwell and Tom is on the case. It should make a huge difference. We found that the front shockers had dumped all their oil, the springs are just 150lb and the front suspension had negative caster so it was unstable. I can remember saying to Malcolm at Donnington that the car seemed to be dancing around heading into Craner Curves. Then its weight reduction and............fitting the big Trofeo spoiler on the back.

Brgds,
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

A bias to the rear is what is needed, set to give more pressure to the fronts than the rears, but as your fronts bite hard, the pressure starts to get the rears. Do you remember when we set Malcolm red sud at Brands?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Just a quick little (huge!) plug,

I have a pair of ex BLS front calipers to accept twin vented discs if anyone fancies?

They're nicely done of course and with the handbrake mechanism properly eliminated, you'll get good power and bite at last!

Pm as usual, shameless plug over! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

902a

Post by 902a »

My inboard brake-conversion are Tarox 264 mm discs together with Wilwood Dynalite II calipers, pads are Hawk Blue 9012

Ali

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Lovely job Ali.
How effective are they when you hit the brakes at speed?
Brgds
Simon

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

902a wrote:My inboard brake-conversion are Tarox 264 mm discs together with Wilwood Dynalite II calipers, pads are Hawk Blue 9012

Ali

Are they tarox bell disc mounts too Ali or did you make them?

Very nice by the way! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

902a

Post by 902a »

Marlow Sud wrote: How effective are they when you hit the brakes at speed?
Looking forward to test it in March 2016 in Zolder/Belgium..
petrolhead wrote:
Are they tarox bell disc mounts too Ali or did you make them?
Caliper mounts and disc bells are custom made, not from Tarox..

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

I'm using Wilwood powerlite calipers and discs at 260?mm

Found them a big improvement without having to step disc off the gearbox but clearance is mm's

Only problem I have found recently when using Mintex pads was the pad wearing unevenly. Leading edge appeared to be wearing more heavily than trailing edge? solved it at Rockingham by swapping pads round as soon as a diffrence could be seen.

Whats the surface area of the Hi spec pads and the diameter of the discs?

rsfruitbat

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

This seems an appropriate time to shamelessly plug these bits i have up for grabs if anyone reading this is excited by the prospect of inboard brakes with a lot more bite!

2015-12-19 11.06.54.jpg
2015-12-19 11.07.08.jpg
2015-12-19 11.08.15.jpg

These were built by BLS, handbrake eliminated and lots of brake effort, and will take typical 22mm twin vented discs or slightly larger.

Always a good idea for those that don't have quite the budget for aftermarket calipers, and good enough to race with as was the practice back then :D

Needs the dust seals replacing ideally for road use but not essential up on the gearbox really.

PM me if anyone's interested but i'll be putting them in the Classifieds shortly too.

Back to the thread chaps.......
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

Hi Guys,
Tom at BLS has done a lovely job of fitting the vented discs and four pot calipers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

junior

Post by junior »

That's excellent.

Hmmmmm I think he may have done that kind of work before. :lol:

Marlow Sud

Post by Marlow Sud »

rsfruitbat wrote:I'm using Wilwood powerlite calipers and discs at 260?mm

Found them a big improvement without having to step disc off the gearbox but clearance is mm's

Only problem I have found recently when using Mintex pads was the pad wearing unevenly. Leading edge appeared to be wearing more heavily than trailing edge? solved it at Rockingham by swapping pads round as soon as a diffrence could be seen.

Whats the surface area of the Hi spec pads and the diameter of the discs?

rsfruitbat

Hi rsfruitbat,

The discs are 265mm dia and 26mm thick.
The pad swept area is 113mm x 43.5mm.

Brgds
Simon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Very nice......don't forget to spend a bit of time setting the bias valve up with the new brakes.

My CD-ROM sized standard discs are feeling slightly inadequate now.... :D

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Are you missing a bit of girth Tim? :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!