Kev's workshop projects

Spacenut

Re: Kev's workshop projects

Post by Spacenut »

225 lb springs are what I have on the front of the Nova, for a kerb weight of 830 kg, so not dissimilar to my set-up. I also use helper springs at the back, where I have a long travel (325 lb back there). The front springs are preloaded in my case.

Car sits really well on the road, I calculated my spring rates for a "sporty" 125-130 cycles-per-minute (CPM) oscillation rate, which I have found is about as hard as you want to go without getting "jiggly" (I have had 250 lb springs on the front before). Hopefully the Imp will get similar results out on the road :D

Lauren

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers guys.

Interesting that you have the same front spring rate Lauren, as you say very similar kerb weight I'd guess and the same layout so interested to hear you have the same rate.
We only came to the 225lb rate by the 250lb ones being too hard (you could hardly compress the car by hand and rebound had instant lack of preload) and the standard being 195 which were too tall and being lower than standard now would be too soft we figured. The helpers will keep things located, we had too much droop to get the desired ride out without going crazy weak on springs!

Shouldn't be long before the first road test now.....

Plans are to be at Cadwell for the Wolds trophy in a few weeks...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Hi Kev,

According to the ACA website, that yellow imp went for £3180.

Ian
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers Ian, good to know we've not wasted our time doing Robs' car! Not that I hope he's gonna sell it anytime soon!! :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Funny old week...

Didn't go down to Jim's to do anything on the integrale this week as this appeared on Tuesday morning...
CIMG0852.JPG
My usual way to deal with these things is to ignore them, as Shrew did with his hand I guess :roll:

Thought better of subjecting it to a day of grinding and welding so actually had an afternoon in front of the TV with the dog.

Went to see the Doc last night as it hadn't cleared up and everyone kept calling me Cyclops or The Terminator...

Seems it's just a bleed on the eye, nothing too drastic. Hadn't caught/cut/knocked it on anything. Blood pressure a bit too high for his liking he reckons, take it easy for a while he says... :roll:

So today I had the morning at work (should have been a day off but too busy to spare me) so left there at 12 to drive down to Woolies near Peterborough for some Imp bits then the drive back up to the unit near Market Rasen, an hour and half away to the North! Finally got to Rob about half 2.

Plan was to get the head lining in at long last. He bought a new head lining some time back but we'd been hanging off fitting it, not my favourite task I must say :(
On trying to get the 3 support rods through the material loops it was clear it wasn't going to happen, another hour spent trying all sorts whilst keeping things clean was fruitless. Luckily enough we still had a roll of 3/8" copper fuel/brake pipe sat doing nothing, just enough to make 3 new supports with a few inches to spare! Stiff enough to keep shape too.

A bit of head scratching between us and we are just about there with the lining, far from my fav task but it looks presentable.

To celebrate we fitted a side window :D

3 of the correct wheels are now on too so we are ticking off the last few boxes....more tomorrow to do.
CIMG0860.JPG
Might try and take the Docs' advice soon too
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ouch ! that looks nasty .
Listen to the Dr.
Attachments
6a0120a7aae27b970b01538fc3c682970b-320wi.jpg
6a0120a7aae27b970b01538fc3c682970b-320wi.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 10617 times

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

You send her round mate, I'll be patient :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

She's not got any rubber gloves.....

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

A very busy weekend, late finish yesterday afternoon after being at work in the morning, nigh on 8PM finish tonight. At least being a Bank Holiday weekend I can relax tomorrow :)
We've ticked off what on paper seems a small list but in reality was a big ask to be done.

A new indicator/horn/light stalk had been bought but was slightly different in the connections as they are actually reproduced by a kit car fella, same stalk and mostly same wires but some took a bit of figuring out.
Finally got the lights etc working. Not even that straightforward as we have installed 2 pairs of fuse boxes so we can protect individual circuits, the Imp doesn't have a single fuse anywhere as standard!

The interior lamp also has a slightly strange arrangement as it can either be set to door switch activation or plain on, with doors open you can't turn it off! We decided it best to put an isolator switch in so they can be turned off should he find himself at a show or race meeting etc with doors open all day.

The car originally had static seat belts which I find a pain so inertia ones have been bought and fitted. Again, not as easy as it should have been as when I welded all the floors up I reinstated the mounting point for the buckle at the tunnel but didn't do the one at the floor for the belt!
As the underside is all painted and sealed I didn't want to start grinding all that back to make mounts so I made some extra strong mounts and welded them into the inner sills, has gone quite well really and allows the belt to be neatly out of the way for rear passengers getting in and out.

Drivers seat wasn't quite aligned properly and the original mounting points for the front mounted hinges were poor so I made some new mounting plates and welded those in, handily above a box section so no heat damage to the painted floor underneath.

A genuine heat shield had been sourced by Rob, this needed a little fettling by him to clear the external oil pipe on this car, new mounting points again having to be installed for it as they'd all been welded up..

Incidentally for such purposes I use rivnuts which make a neat captive thread by simply making a hole and crimping the stud in, this allows a healthy dose of waxoyl to be put into the fitting to seal it, would be far better to dry test fit everything before paint but so much on this car has been unknown territory!

Numerous other jobs done, new choke cable which meant gear linkage down again, wiring tidied up, bearings set and locked, head lining finished off with visors etc fitted, all door cards and rear 1/4 panels installed. Loads of other little jobs....

Finally tonight the time came which Rob has been waiting for for some time, give it a wash!
CIMG0872.JPG
CIMG0873.JPG
CIMG0875.JPG
Once cleaned we touched up the few chips that unfortunately seem to be inevitable, Rob wanted to paint a strip of metal under the rear seat that I wasn't aware would be on show...
CIMG0878.JPG
He also got a set of original copied decals for under the bonnet etc., a nice finishing touch.

You'll notice a couple of things, the rear lenses kept falling off so we've put some sealant on them now we know they all work plus the rear wheels are the unpainted ones still as we haven't yet got the correct tyres for them.

It is booked in for an MoT this Wednesday afternoon........
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cracking work done there boys, that is still quite a list to get through Kev.
The Imp looks really smart in that sunshine. Good colour choice, and good luck for the MOT on Wednesday.
Is it this coming weekend you are going to Cadwell?

junior

Post by junior »

Fantastic. Well done you guys. Looks just great and I am not a fan of red cars, odd I know.

Every little job here on in is a joy as its just icing the cake.

And just in time for summer, impressed. Enjoy. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, fingers crossed for the MoT on Wednesday, Rob reckons he's gonna be straight out & about in it after the test! Hope it passes... :D

It's weekend after next Keith, Wolds Trophy ;)

https://cadwellpark.msv.com/CP-18-Wolds

If all goes well we'll be up there spectating in the Imp, some decent classic stuff on there.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I prefer the silver wheels n the rear :shock:

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cheers mate, I will do my best to get up to that. It looks a good event. It is a shame Tim isn't racing that weekend :(

I had quite a list to get through this Bank holiday as well.
I'll give you a clue.
Attachments
20180505_122417.jpg

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I do too Tim, but it's his choice :)

Busy weekend there too Keith, hope it's all gone well?

Be nice to see you, and others, up at Cadwell ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Well its a runner !! :D
Just haven't driven it yet, still waiting on a new dizzy cap.
Any idea which day you are there?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

We'll both be up there on the Sunday mate, Rob will be there all day sat probably, I'll go up after a morning 's work I guess..

Well done on getting the Sud back together mate 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Disaster day really, didn't even make it to the test station :(

Rushed around as the new rear tyres finally turned up, all fitted to the car and a few last minute jobs done then off we went, only about 8 miles to do...

Car went well enough, looked tiny with seemingly huge glass area, I followed Rob who had his first road drive in the Imp......about a mile from the MoT place he pulls over, engine stopped. Fuel pump has given up the ghost despite it having a rebuild with new diaphragm etc :evil:

Had to tow it back to the unit, we've decided to bin the mechanical one and fit an electric pump. Tried to find one at various motor factors in Louth but nobody had one, day abandoned with little to show for it :x

Car does look good though, even if the front number plate is very vulnerable to roadside grass verges!

Hopefully we can find a new pump and get it to test next week....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

KevJTD wrote:We'll both be up there on the Sunday mate, Rob will be there all day sat probably, I'll go up after a morning 's work I guess..

Well done on getting the Sud back together mate 8-)

Sunday it will be then. Good to hear Tim will be there in the Sprint.
Sorry to hear the Imp ran into problems, mine is in for her MOT on Saturday.
My engine swap was a challenge to say the least, but pleased so far. Done 28 miles but needs the ignition tweeking a little, but at least she is still mobile. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Agreed great news that Tim has an entry, shame I'll miss both Saturday sessions, maybe Rob will be up there, hopefully with the Imp...

I'll be up there Sat afternoon I hope, Sunday for sure.

See you up there Keith ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Well this last Wednesday we got the electric fuel pump installation finished off and tried to confirm if we have an overheating problem or not.
Seems with Robs' chat on the Imp club that they do run fairly warm up the gauge, higher than I thought necessary but seems like it's a common thing. We haven't any issues with it throwing water about or boiling over, Rob brought his digital temp gauge and the water was only around the high 60's with the gauge not at it's max....time will tell.

As we got finished off by 5PM I rang my mate Chris at the test centre to see if we could drop it off for him to attempt an MoT on the Thursday or Friday. Got it there OK without any breakdowns or anything!

Running way rich now though, needs a pressure regulator I think despite it being a very low pressure pump, but running at least.

At last though we have something to celebrate!
IMG_20180518_133224.jpg
Just about complete now, needs carpets still as they haven't yet arrived. The originals were just rubber floor mats which were way past there best, a full set of fitted carpets should improve things.

My local guy who I trust to do all carb work will be getting the car next week for a tune up, then it's about out of my hands at last 8-)

All being well Rob will be taking it to Cadwell this weekend, Sunday most likely but if he gets everything sorted in the morning then he'll probably go up tomorrow afternoon.

Correct wheels on now, just the centre caps to sort....

As it was....
IMG_20160420_201237348 (1).jpg
IMG_20160423_130131949.jpg
IMG_20160221_172602099.jpg
As it is now...
CIMG0882.JPG
CIMG0884.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Fantastic news Kev, we shall have to get a photo of the "N" regs' on Sunday.
Looks great and keep those fingers crossed the heat issue is within a safe temperature. 8-)

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

very shiny.....well done, looks great. the Sprint is asleep at cadwell now, hopefully we'll see the imp over the weekend.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Well done guys - Rob must be well chuffed.

junior

Post by junior »

Looks fabulous. Well done to both of you.

Those before and after pictures make yourself fully realise just how far its come despite you having

done the hard graft. I suppose if ours brains stored up all the hassle and graft we would never take

on another one. :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Kegsti66 wrote:Fantastic news Kev, we shall have to get a photo of the "N" regs' on Sunday.
Looks great and keep those fingers crossed the heat issue is within a safe temperature. 8-)

Sorry to say mate but a pic of the N reg's will have to wait for another day, the little Imp is still fighting us :(

Fuel pressure issues (too high this time, needs a regulator fitting) but more importantly a blocked radiator mean it's still confined to the unit. The risk of boiling it to death or stalling at a junction with a flooded carb mean it's too risky to go to Cadwell tomorrow :(

Good news though is that with the new rad and a regulator we should be good to go...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

junior wrote:Looks fabulous. Well done to both of you.

Those before and after pictures make yourself fully realise just how far its come despite you having

done the hard graft. I suppose if ours brains stored up all the hassle and graft we would never take

on another one
. :lol:
I'm coming around to that way of thinking at last mate, these long term jobs are becoming too much now. Full time work then doing these as a "hobby"? Madness :roll: :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Finally had a change of fortune on the Imp.
The new uprated radiator that the Imp club recommend turned up yesterday, Rob went up to the unit this morning and fitted it amongst a few other bits and bobs.
This afternoon the fuel regulator got plumbed in then we tidied up a few loose ends, sprayed loads of protection into the sill cavities via the 25mm holes I made way back when the welding was being done plus a few other key places like the rear removable panel, re-greased the kingpins, re-adjusted the brake shoes etc.
Once the car was started and run up to temperature then another road test was in order, fingers crossed we'd get further than a few miles like before!

Did manage 15 to 20 miles with the engine temperature at a perfectly normal reading, that is on quite hilly roads too despite being in "flat" Lincolnshire, the Wolds aren't that flat! Anyone who has visited the nearby Cadwell Park will know it's not flat...
So the cooling system seems cured, huge relief.
Running though is still a little off. The regulator needs setting up accurately rather than just visually looking how full the filter gets, it will be going to my local guru very soon. The carb though I think has a fault which sees it causing issues once fully warm, we've removed it now so Rob can drop it in to Phil on Monday for him to test and overhaul it before we get it back on and take the car to him.
Fingers crossed the car will be making the 25+ miles journey home next weekend...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Fingers crossed mate.