Kev's workshop projects

Kegsti66

Re: Kev's workshop projects

Post by Kegsti66 »

Bloody 'ell mate you do like to take on a challenge eh?
Interesting engine, not that I am familiar with a Scooby lump. It would be good if some of the parts are still serviceable .
Good luck.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Had a quick look at it all tonight and it looks to be too much missing to use, plus has some damage on both casings that I've yet to uncover the filler like substance to see why it's been put on, looks like the liquid metal type stuff.
IMG_20200518_181845.jpg
Cranks I have my doubts over whether they'd be useable.
Check the main shells, they've had some use.. Not sure if from this engine as its a real mish mash of bits, casing numbers don't match for both sides..
IMG_20200518_180333.jpg

Only one camshaft, I do have 4 heads, all with different date stamps from between 1972 to 1975, its a 1964 car I think from memory..

Other bits obviously missing, inlet manifold, carb, water pump and thermostat housing, the top of the engine has a large access plate that stuff bolts to.... Missing...

The front should have a cover for the timing chain, missing. Rear crank housing for the oil seal, missing.
That's just with 5 minutes laying stuff out, not sure if all the cam followers are there, pushrods etc.
Then the internals will need a good clean as even if the outside looks clean and polished the inside is very furry..

Makes more sense to strip and rebuild the engine that is complete, I know it's not siezed and appears complete so makes it a bit more likely to have good results.

This lot may be useful as spares, or to help someone else out.
I'll store it for a while once I oil it all up and wrap it in paper.

It would though make a really nice static display, or a coffee table. Especially if you put a small electric motor in it, perspex cover over the top opening to see the workings...

Could do one valve cover in perspex too to see the valves moving, polish the engine up nice.
The valve covers are crying out to be highly polished..
IMG_20200518_181331.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

Yes that Lancia logo with the bottom of the`L' going across under the name and ending in a arrow head is so

traditional in calligraphy. A good polish will make it all the better. Valve set up looks very single cylinder motorbike like.

Interesting ! :D

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Interesting engine, Lancia going their own way as usual. Split crankcase was standard practice for boxer engines until the easy-to-service Alfa unit came along, VW of course and Porsche use the same approach. The downside is that you have to split the case to get the crank out...

I like the cam-in-head approach, it allows the valves to be angled so the combustion chambers can be hemispherical or pent-roofed. Certainly sounds better than a central cam and long pushrods!

I guess even though the Gamma was the last true Lancia engine, it probably has very little in common with the Flavia? And probably just as difficult to get hold of, either whole or in part. Proper SOHC per bank though...

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Totally different engine design to the Gamma Lauren, this is an OHV design with pushrods, a cam for each engine side but they sit within the engine block, there is indeed long pushrods going up to the valve rocker shafts but unlike the VW basic design the valves are nicely inclined. The rocker assembly reminds me so much of aero wartime engines that are on display at East Kirkby, Merlin etc. Got some pics somewhere, I'll dig them out,,,,see how good me memory is!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Of course it wasn't the merlin design :roll:
That has a central overhead cam operating rocker arms operating the 4 valve heads..
P011114_18.53_[01].jpg
P011114_18.53.jpg
The engine I was thinking of is this one, can't remember which manufacturer but seem to think German so probably messerschmitt or something
P011114_16.16.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

I think there is a tradition of strong Germanic influence in Italian engine design. Hruska was Austrian, so was Carlo Abarth, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the designers at Lancia came from the same neck of the woods (Italian Tyrol)...

The Gamma engine may be completely different, but would it fit in the Flavia? 140 bhp through the front wheels is not to be sniffed at - torquey too... 8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Next one delivered today 8-)
Attachments
IMG_20200628_125413.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Looks tiny in there.

What’s the plan for this one ?

Nice colour.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Stir fry in a hot wok?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The plan was a quick job... :roll:

I started to chop the outer sill off at home a while back, thought it wouldn't take long. But of course the joint to the floor wasn't very good and it needed more repairs behind the wing bottom, I wasn't going to rush and lash it up so it sat at home until it could be done right.

Now it's at the unit I came to the conclusion that I may as well do it fully properly now rather than just the sills, I'm not that keen on welding upside down either so it's getting stripped out fully so I can get it on the tilter frame and have it upside down and at all angles.
Of course that means everything out, engine and interior etc..

Once I'd tidied the unit up today (amazing how messy the unit gets, only me in there so nobody else to blame...) then the first task wa sto brace the body shell as it has a fair but of flex, more than I've seen in other cars. When jacking up one corner the doors became out of line and awkward to open and shut. What is vital is to have the car in a position of structural solidity so that when it's welded it is in the right position! With braces welded across the door opening, laterally and diagonally but the crucial one from the bottom of the A post up to the top of the B post then the shell was solid again. You can jack it up behind the front wheel now, same side rear wheel off the ground too and the doors still open and close lovely. Now once the outer sills are cut off the car will keep its shape.
IMG_20200629_171709.jpg
With the car now sturdy the work on stripping things out could carry on. A few bits off but as ever 10 hour days never seem to be enough. Engine and gearbox out in the morning hopefully then back axle and fuel tank, can then set about seeing how to attach the frames each end.
A few other bits to come off, rear hatch and front 'screen for example but the effort will be worth it when I start welding it stood up 8-)
IMG_20200629_195339.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Kev....

Are you sure you haven't got an army of elves, minions, umpalumpas etc that are tirelessly working on your instruction?????
I don't know how else to explain the pace you go at.

Outstanding

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Dunno about that mate, it's wierd, I am hard on myself for pissing about and getting nothing done. Years ago I'd have got more done, takes me a while to get back up off the floor nowadays! :lol:

Doesn't help I suppose that I aim to get there before pop master starts, that's half 10 for the initiated, ought to make an effort to get there earlier..

Anyways, task was to get the engine and gearbox out before allowing myself to knock off for dinner.. Nice to have something to aim for :lol:

Enough out of the engine bay for now, may decide to strip it all out when it's painting time and do the engine bay even though I hadn't planned to..
IMG_20200630_182357.jpg
This afternoon the back end needed stripping out. Rear axle came out OK, all bolts coming out without issue. I'll get the axle blasted and powder coated I think, or may just spray it. Like getting things blasted and coated though as saves me the hassle! Take him rusty crud and a couple weeks later it's smooth and shiny 8-)

As ever the fittings into plastic were the awkward ones, rear bumper mounting bolts spinning in the housings. Nothing that the grinder had any fear for though, although means I've some mounting bolts to make.. Ah well.

Rear hatch, lights etc all out so rear end about as light as possible.
IMG_20200630_182438.jpg
As small a car as it is there isn't half a lot of parts taken off :D I need to make some shelving tomorrow to store them in the big unit, out of the way of the welding and painting to come..
Attachments
IMG_20200630_182335.jpg
IMG_20200630_182345.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

How about this for a neat bit of design.
I needed to strip the doors, take the weight out and for repairs and paint in the future.
Normally taking door handles, electric window motor and regulator, central locking etc is a PITA and fiddly.
This looked no better.
IMG_20200630_172631.jpg

Consulting the Lancia workshop manual was a godsend...

Simply one screw and the outer handle can be slid out, 2 screws and the door latch comes off..

IMG_20200630_172828.jpg
Then there are 4 bolts and 2 nuts around the black frame and the whole lot comes off in one, window reg, glass, door handles and lock, the lot...
IMG_20200630_173336.jpg
IMG_20200630_173258.jpg
Just leaves an empty door!
IMG_20200630_173313.jpg
Takes a couple of minutes and all out.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Some things have moved on eh mate :lol:
Good idea, I only recently found out that you can unbolt the door skins on VW Golfs :oops:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Kegsti66 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 pm
Some things have moved on eh mate :lol:
Good idea, I only recently found out that you can unbolt the door skins on VW Golfs :oops:
Didn't know that about the door skins, guess it's trying to cut down on repair times..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

My neighbour has an 07 Polo 5 door.
Central locking not working on OSR door.....failed its MoT.

Looking on You tube seems a nightmare to replace the module.
Involves drilling holes in the door to access the fixings!

Certainly a neat bit of design from Lancia.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:08 am
My neighbour has an 07 Polo 5 door.
Central locking not working on OSR door.....failed its MoT.

Looking on You tube seems a nightmare to replace the module.
Involves drilling holes in the door to access the fixings!

Certainly a neat bit of design from Lancia.
Is it that it locks and won't unlock, or that it was locked at the test?
Knew doors had to be openable from inside and outside the car but surely if presented unlocked they wouldn't test the locking system?
Mind you, it's a few years since I was a tester so could well be on the list now.
But madness to design in such a way as need drilling to get at it!
VW....good cars..... :roll:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Got nothing much done today, well to the car anyway.
I've had a pile of shelves sat in the unit since back end of last year, but not much use in a pile.
The fact I also have a small unit with a big pile of Y10 parts meant action was needed,
So this morning I set about making some storage, nice set of shelving now to store all the parts and more in the big unit away from all the filler dust as much as any paint spray. Perfect, should have done it ages ago!
With all the parts stashed away and the engine/gearbox trolleyed away too I did manage to make a start on fitting the bracketry for the A frames....
Tomorrow it should be upside-down time....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I did manage to get the car attached to the tilter on Thursday, dropped the ball a bit by greasing the pivots on the frame as they'd gone rusty, thought it'd help it rotate smooth only for it to want to tip sideways then belly up! Not helped by the front screen still in which has over balanced it making it slightly top heavy.
IMG_20200702_154523.jpg
IMG_20200702_171946.jpg
This afternoon by the time I could get back to the car, first task to come up with a solution to the kamikaze car, stop it playing dead all the time.

Solution I have come up with was to weld a few pieces of box to the frame
IMG_20200704_145447.jpg
This then allows me to have a slightly smaller, tight fitting piece of box as a peg which can be fitted as a stopper, frame goes around and stops safely at the desired angle of attack.

IMG_20200704_145555.jpg
IMG_20200704_145719.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Started the task of chopping out the old sill and cutting the new one to suit, just make sure to not cut too much off!

Got the alignment nice now even if just with clamps. Won't be welding anytime soon as it's just to find out where it needs to be so I can make a bottom edge to attach it to!
IMG_20200704_204049.jpg
New sill is a nice one and has the swage line for the rear quarter panel so it can be joined above it saving the hassle of damaging then rebuilding the line.
IMG_20200704_204058.jpg
As you can see though the bottom edge is a bit lacking, so that will need making first :lol:

At least with the topside aligned I know where to make it up to..

Shame I'm back to work next week or I'd be able to make some progress. Never mind, it'll happen.
IMG_20200704_204348.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

As always mate, I am blown away with your enthusiasm, drive and pace.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

:lol: Still a way to go before it's attached mate, merely for encouragement at the moment, my own encouragement!
The inner face and bottom lip need a fair bit of sorting, around the rear suspension mount too as well as the lower rear arch. But being able to do it without sparks, rust and old underseal falling in your ears and eyes will almost make it a pleasure.... almost..
Attachments
IMG_20200704_232219.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Back to work tomorrow so that will scupper plans to get cracking. Must say it's been nice to have the last few weeks up at the unit, got to finish Tims' Sud and get the Y10 started so that's been good.

Yesterday afternoon I had John come round for a look and a chat, he was swapping one of his (3) 406 coupes around.. Nice looking cars for the money, shame they didn't do anything special for the interior instead of just using the saloon interior, straight from the local taxi! His V6 pair both go well as does his 2.2 petrol 4 pot which returns him over 40mpg..can't be bad, never got near that with my 156 2 litres..

Then Terry from the nearby unit popped in. He's been tinkering with an MGB for a while, the sill fitment has been giving him a hard time with repairs to the floor, castle rail, front wing, 'screen corner and rear quarter panel. Think he wishes he'd never started! But being retired it keeps him active.

Nice to see Tim and Dad pop in on their way back from Cadwell, really sorry to hear the woes from qualifying and I still have my fingers crossed the engine damage isn't catastrophic..
At least the Sud brought a smile to the face to cheer you up mate.

Once I'd called it a day around half 8 I had a chat with Sean, the music guy next door, just out walking the dogs and getting them fed. He'd been doing some music production all afternoon rather than on the mk1 cavalier which has been really interesting to hear about. Around a week or so back I could hear him doing this guitar riff over and over, then there'd be added notes and it would grow. Yesterday it was almost a complete track, you could hear that same riff in it. Said it was just something he was tinkering with rather than a new song, now there's dedication and patience! He's talking more about going into production rather than performing, got the impression that the London music lifestyle isn't quite what you imagine unless you make it big. Seems happier up here back near his family tinkering with cars and music.

Must say it's going to be sad not being amongst it all..
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Yes going back to work will feel quite odd after this and how some people will do long term one can only guess at.

Those 405 coupe's I really like the look of, and it has not been diminished over the years. I just feel it looks very balanced.

Surprised the petrol does that well, though last time a mate loaned an old Xantia estate I was amazed at how well it did.

Esp as my chum drives like a nutter, it was loaded to the roof and it was all the way to Spain. :lol:

Good luck and keep posting.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Were the carpets a bit wet when you got it?

junior

Post by junior »

Kev, is this a Imp cable? Was with some of my cycle stuff but says imp on the packet !

junior

Post by junior »

IMG_20200719_110238706.jpg
This one :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Could be a handbrake cable mate, I'll send a pic to Rob, he'll know ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Throttle cable Rob says.
Giulietta JTD 170