wheel refurb

KevJTD

wheel refurb

Post by KevJTD »

got these off shrew recently, they'll be going on the red 33 16V that i had a year or so back. getting it back as part of another deal..it's a really solid one that just needs a little tlc. the wheels are a little bit of the upgrade i have planned.
once the car is mine of course!

so, the wheels aren't in bad condition at all but there is corrosion to the faces which needs sorting.

i am a big fan of darker wheels or red cars having done them on previous ones like the 145 20VT, but when you put tyres on it's a little too much darkness for me.
shrew and me chatted about this and he came up with a great idea, a polished lip to them to break up the dark. he did a great job in polishing all 4 for me to save me a lot of grief, cheers again mate ;)

so once the corrosion had been removed, etch primed then grey primed it was flatted back to get rid of any scratches. is still the odd nick around the bolt holes etc but these won't be for a fair-weather pamperred car so not all the world. besides which i don't have the time to spend hours on them all!

the polished edge was masked off with edging tape. if you just use masking tape it does 2 things. first off it doesn't like going around corners so getting a smooth curve is very difficult, secondly masking tape allows the colour to bleed under the edge so the edge tape helps keep a sharp edge

next the metallic basecoat was applied to the inside and the face, over several steadily built up layers.

finished off with a few more layers of lacquer, built up slowly first off particularly with the polished edge as it's easy to get too much on and have it slide off.

bit of dust in it, to be expected with painting in my shed, but overall i'm pleased.

opinions on the polished lip guys?

i'll get a better pic tomrrow in daylight, the flash makes the edge look a bit silver.
Attachments
beginnings
beginnings
primed & flatted
primed & flatted
basecoat
basecoat
lacquered
lacquered
CIMG1016.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Re: wheel refurb

Post by Spacenut »

I think it looks great - helps to break up the uniform dark colour of the centres, and has the added bonus that the paint (well, the basecoat at least) won't be damaged by the tyre fitter!

It's amazing the difference a painted centre with polished rim can make - I've always liked the Alfa Carabo wheels, but when you look closely you can see that they are just standard 13" Stradale/GTAm Campags, with the edges polished up and the centres painted black!

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Nice one Kev, they look great so far.

You needn't have woriied about the masking really, it would have come straight back off on the spin polisher, which leads me to my point, do you want to pop them over and give them a final sand and polish?

If you have any tyres ready for them, we can chuck them on the tyre machine aswell, job done!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

lacquered the whole thing mate, polished rim and all. i'll polish them when they've had a day or two to harden off but that'l do.
not got any tyres as of yet but will get some 205/45 16's and should have no issues fitting them ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Wheels look nice Kev, don't you guy's ever stop ? You are always doing something, you just make me feel lazy. :oops:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

feel free to come and start on my sud if youre feeling guilty Keith! ha ha! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

didn't do anything today kieth, went to mablethorpe with the family, fish & chips by the seaside. not as relaxing as it sounds, motorbike sand racing was on :D

but i do feel guilty for slacking off :P
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Well I have blacked out the slats on my grille. Just need to refit it.
Shrew, the interior mirror will replace the one in my car as the mirror is better, so that has been refurb'd and I will tidy up the steering wheel next week.
I will press on with my door cards as that is the next big thing to do. I will put pics up as the project gets under way.
Been a bit busy with the JTD but that is not for here.
Love the idea of working on your Sud mate as the body plans sound great but I have nowhere. My project outstayed its welcome at work by about four years !! :shock: :shock:

Oh ! Shrew, did Jix get my message? have a look. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

what do you guys reckon now they've got tyres on.....

i always like the idea of darker wheels, especially on red cars, but sometimes don't like the results

when they go on the car i think they'll look better
Attachments
P030315_18.50.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy