Light Entertainment - pre Alfa wheels

Veesix75

Light Entertainment - pre Alfa wheels

Post by Veesix75 »

Some entertainment at my expense and with a cup of tea..........be gentle.

A photo of me trying to look 'cool' on my pre Alfa transport (check out that black visor), and a quiz for those of a certain age :

1. what is the EXACT make and model of the bike ?

2. what is non standard on the bike ?

3. what is the EXACT make and model of the white car ?

4. what year was the photo taken ?
Fizzy and white car.JPG

Fetta GTV

Re: Light Entertainment - pre Alfa wheels

Post by Fetta GTV »

Not sure on the bike but the cars is a datsun 120Y or that's what they where called in Australia and the other one looks like a Mazda 323

Fluffyduff

Post by Fluffyduff »

I'm not clued in on bikes but Id imagine the blue wheels and chain guard are aftermarket. I suppose the L plate on the seat is an add on too :lol:

On the cars, Id agree, Datsun 120y and an Opel Ascona/Vauxhall Cavalier (sorry, I'm Irish, so not too sure about Vauxhall model names).

I reckon the picture is 1985?

Simonsud

Post by Simonsud »

Datsun 120y vauxhall astra mk1 Yamaha think it's a yb100

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

Car is Datsun 120Y Sunny, as previously mentioned, and mk 2 Cavalier, bike is not so obvious, cast wheels, after market seat, chopped down rear mudguard, - modded Yam YB100 as also previously mentioned ? You do look a bit cool, in a 17 year old, awkward kind of way !
John.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

I think it's a Yamaha 50 originally with just about everything changed. Photo guess 79/80.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i was wondering if it was a FS1E but just doesn't look quite right.....i had a suzuki AP50 at the time when my mates had fizzys'
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hmmm, nice quiz Tim

well the first answers are deffo correct, Datsun 120Y, and Cavalier.

I suspect the cavalier, from its non metallic colour, is an 82 L/LS? is that a hint at the year Tim, but were you 16 in 82? hmmmmm!

Here's a daft thought, the TV aerials are a high gain design, so in conjunction with the cavalier, which is dirty, but not rusty, so maybe a year or so old, no longer that brand new feeling! could i be so bold as to say 1983/84, or was it your old mans company car so it didn't matter so much? ha ha!

now the bike is becoming a bit tricky, mainly because of the wheels.

it has front frame tubes and a disc brake, which hints at the late FS1e-DX, but if i recall correctly the brake was on the other side as standard and in front of the discs so i suspect you've reversed your forks? AND, Yam wheels were pretty much all straight spoke designs, and these are like a Star cross, like suzuki X series but theyd be too big i suspect, so GP wheels?

are we getting any closer?

I'd love to see a better photo Tim, I just can't see the pedals or gear selector.

PS - is the helmet a Bell, or maybe Arai? and the Jacket looks like an Interstate Leathers, or Lewis, any bonus saddo points?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

:lol:

Definitely bonus points for you Shrew, great answer (especially the telly ariel part!).

I thought the Datsun 120Y would have been harder to spot........John (Justsuds) got the fully name, 120Y Sunny

The Cavalier is indeed a 1983 L (the 'Y' plate can just been seen), and was a company car hence unloved.

The year is 1985 - not sure whether a complete guess from Fluffy, or a calculated one.

For the bike, I as expecting someone to mention 'fizzy' a bit sooner, so a point to Kev. Good call on YB100, only for the fact we were stupid enough to try and fit a YB100 engine to it (I'm sure plod woudln't have been fooled).

But, bike bonus points have to go to Shrew........

Tis indeed a FSIE-DX of 1981 vintage hence no pedals (foot pegs by then), it does have Suzuki X1 mag wheels and X1 front forks (hence disc brake) and the X1 rear hub which needed a spacer making to stop the wheel bearing collapsing every ten minutes. The side panels are late 70's fizzy panels to replace the naff plastic ones, the seat was aftermarket, the chrome front tubes were optional extras, the rear shocks where off some Honda, cant remember what.

The best part was we knew someone who raced bikes, and he got us a spec sheet for race tuning a Fizzy, we followed it to the letter and the Fizzy would pull 60mph on the flat, and out accelerate the 120Y to about 40mph - sad eh! I got pulled up by the police, who wouldnt believe it was a 50cc. I saw just under 70mph on the speedo while laid flat on the tank, down hill and a following wind.

The jacket, no idea, and the helmet was actualy an AGV - with Bell stickers, but triple points to Shrew for even mentioning them, we sprayed the helmet in the front room because it was cold in the shed! Parents obviously were not at home!

here is anothe pic of the Fizzy (complete with pet dogs turd on the flag stones)...
Fizzy.JPG
And for good measure, a Kenny Roberts tribute my brother started during his mid life crisis, but failed to finish so sold on a couple of years ago, and finished like this...
Kenny Roberts fizzy.JPG

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Marvellous!

I enjoyed that Tim.

Not sure i've got any pictures on file of old cryptic stuff like that, but i look forward to the next quiz!

anyone?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Here you go ......
Scooter - Flames and Pipes.jpg

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That's a tough one......do the side panels have flames on them?

Pre 63 scooter as it doesn't have a suffix reg.

Other than that, no idea!

Either the chap is very tall or the scooter is small , like a Vespa 50, but the rear panels don't look like a Vespa.

I'll leave shrew to guess on the helmet!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Veesix75 wrote:That's a tough one......do the side panels have flames on them?

Pre 63 scooter as it doesn't have a suffix reg.

Other than that, no idea!

Either the chap is very tall or the scooter is small , like a Vespa 50, but the rear panels don't look like a Vespa.

I'll leave shrew to guess on the helmet!
piss pot?

:roll:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Vespa gs phil?

Helmet looks like a Cromwell, but is a tad before my time!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Looks like shrew might have done it again....

Vespa gs125, late 50's.

Picture might be 60's though as the p!ss pot hasn't got leather flaps.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Leather flaps,

Chain mail,

And spurs! Lol!

Bloomin weird wader exhaust though eh! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Very good guys
Yes it is a 125 Vespa 1960 - with a flame (brush painted) paint job, aftermarket spare wheel/luggage carrier and -well spotted Shrew - a home made twin copper pipe curly high level exhaust pipe - with flaired tips! The helmet with a nice peak, cord jacket/trousers pic taken 1967/8.

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Sticking with the two wheeled - "what is it and what are the modifications" theme here is a more recent toy of mine....

XJ 600 side.JPG

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Either these are tough and no one knows, or alternatively myself and shrew have too much time on our hands !

It looks like a XS, but not sure if an 1100 or smaller. I racked my brains to try and remember XS before succumbing to google :roll:

I bet that exhaust rumbles well.

justsuds

Post by justsuds »

US spec xj 550 ? or xj 650 ? - chain drive so not 750 or 1100, - close ?
John.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

hmmmm, a puzzle this one Phil,

toughest yet!

mixture of markets i suspect so far, uk and us possibly.

XS 1100 were shaft drive though Tim, even the us version is think, so if its an XS engine its a grafted output shaft and sprocket.

Front wheel and forks are missing a brake, pipes of course are stock headers but aftermarket slashcut silencers (cough! :P )

Ram filters, and i think this is as much to do with the lack of airbox room with the transplant work and other parts creeping in.

Seat end looks gpz ish Phil, remodelled front to meet the teardrop tank?

are we getting anywhere nearer?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

ooh you beat me to it John whilst i was doing my essay!

ha ha! well done mate.

is the front end Kwak, something like KZ 1000, ltd?
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

XJ Maxim but with XS wheels and forks, or XS with XJ 4 cylinder?

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

are you divorced but still involved Tim?

you certainly love your X's!

ha ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I suspect I may soon become divorced, Mrs veesix75 isn't overly impressed with my 4 wheel collection... :shock:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

If you need to hide one, or tell her its not yours, you know where i am mate! :D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Well done all - Shrew is good for a lot of it......Which started life as an innocent XJ600
Dec 06 Xmas Pics 013.jpg
Which I decided to slightly modify.....The headstock has been raked to kick the front wheel forward, the rear of the frame shortened and lowered.
The front wheel less one disc is from a Kawasaki, the rear wheel from a Harley Speedster. The fuel tank from a 125 Yamaha, the seat front cut off, air box gone and individual filters fitted with the exhaust changed from 4 into 1 to the twin pipe twin silencer set up. The instrument pod gone and front headlamp changed and hi rise handle bars fitted with front mounted foot pegs......thye engine and frame around it is stock......

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

EEEEEEEEEEEEasy Rider eh Phil?

:D
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

petrolhead wrote:EEEEEEEEEEEEasy Rider eh Phil?

:D
I was watching too much "American Chopper" on Sky....... but I thought going straight to a big engined rigid rear bike ....from my 125 Vespa 40 odd years ago was a bit silly.

However in the shed I do have.........
Hardtail 4 005.jpg
FJ1200 engine.......

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Fj12!

Stonky motor them, iirc, gen1 fj's were about 135bhp, and grunty right off idle!

Probably a good thing, as i wouldnt recommend using all the revs and horsepower on a hardtail chop anyway! Lol!
SHREW

I AM the Law!