Not an Alfa (weirdly)

LooLooSud33Spider

Not an Alfa (weirdly)

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

So as some of you know my Sud project is running way behind schedule . This is down to several factors . The main one is the Race spider project which is coming on but slower than I would of liked . The second one is Charlotte keep buying stuff on Fleabag. The latest red wine fuelled impulse purchase is this little beauty.
800F676F-CA9E-44A5-A211-AA0E0936EF67.jpeg
Yes it’s a 1275 MG Midget from 1972 and makes the Sud look big . It has the apparently desirable round wheel arches . This little Gem was acquired as a quote “runs and drives “ rolling restoration job . Yeah right. Technically it ran as long as your mate could run along side spraying fuel in to the carbs from a weed sprayer type bottle. And it didn’t stop too well either .
To be honest its actually solid enough but isn’t going to win any concours we’ve got another bonnet as the one fitted is awful and last winter was spent kicking it in to shape and I’ve given it a good going over and it now runs stops and turn well and is actually a hoot to thrash around the local scenery with the roof down on a sunny day . This the whole reason Charlotte fancied one . I’ve already fitted a roll hoop and we’ve put the Miniltes off the A30 for the time being .
Anyway with the Midget now useable and Charlotte “Happy” as Soon as the spider runs with the turbo engine I’m going to make time for the Sud but it doesn’t look like it going to be finished this year.
So the plan now is to work towards getting the bodywork finished and painted this summer then I can spend next winter rebuilding and fitting out
For use next summer but as we all know plans need to be flexible when doing these things and I’m not rushing it just to get it done. that said I’m determined to finish it before I die
Lou.
Last edited by LooLooSud33Spider on Sun May 26, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Re: Not an Alfa (weirdly)

Post by Kegsti66 »

That looks alright Lou.
Don't quote me , but I think they only did a short production run of round arched models, hence they are more rare.
Looks good on those wheels.
Happy summer.

LooLooSud33Spider

Thanks Keith as I said it’s not bad
For an early 70s British POS. It’s a Mk3 and as you said the RWA models were only produced for a short time so they seem to be more sort after . It’s had a bucket load of welding done and all exterior panels seem to have been replaced in the past. I do have to say the welding hasn’t really been done to the std I’d like but it is solid.
It’s a bit of summer topless fun but if we keep it long term I’ll probably want to replace the entire floor to remove all the crap repairs. I’m trying to locate a replacement mk3 front bumper.
The good thing is almost every single part is available for midgets and they’re dead easy to work on. I bet We all Wish Sud bits we’re as easy to get.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Yes, it has to be said the MG following has enabled the reproduction of parts to be fully worth while.
Looks kind of cool without a front bumper.
You said it made the Sud look big, don't park it next to a Stelvio then. :lol:
Attachments
20190414_153810-1.jpg

LooLooSud33Spider

Pulled the engine out to rebuild the gearbox but it’s all got a bit out of hand.
95763FD2-181A-4E65-93D2-D3491FD7719E.jpeg
1950BDFC-D5DA-4F82-80DA-A3AF7B823B4E.jpeg

Looks like the Suds on the back burner again !! :cry: :cry:
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Bugger me !!
That is definitely more than "just whipping out the gearbox" Lou. :shock:
Had to look twice to see it was the MG. Thought you were on another project like a Sud engine'd beach buggy. :lol:

LooLooSud33Spider

Well You know how theses things go. All the exterior panels are good having bee replaced in the past but It’s now having new floors, inner and outer sills. Boot floor and back panel. I’m going to those lengths Not because it was rotten but because it had patches over patches over rust and I just can’t stand that so it’s all got to come off and be done properly. I managed to pick up a pair of mint brand new old stock doors on eBay . They’d been in the blokes attic for 30yrs. It’s also going to getting a fast road cam a decent exh and possibly a single Weber and if funds allow a Limited slip diff.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

https://youtu.be/0vECGh9hY68

:lol:

Never know when to leave well alone, do we Lou :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

mj2k

Post by mj2k »

Weird how much it looks like the frogeye Sprite with the front panels off...

LooLooSud33Spider

Marc Apart from a few brackets The chassis is basically identical to the frogeye and you can actually get a fibreglass “frogeye kit” to transform your midget into a frogeye.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

mj2k

Post by mj2k »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:Marc Apart from a few brackets The chassis is basically identical to the frogeye and you can actually get a fibreglass “frogeye kit” to transform your midget into a frogeye.
Heh, I did wonder about that. Just goes to show how much a 'facelift' can change the appearance of a car - the later spridget looks more like a mini MGB than a frogeye to me.

IMO surprisingly that means BMC / Leyland were actually good at one thing, at least to begin with - facelifts. To me the spridget is a far more attractive car than the frogeye, and the same with the Triumph 2500 mk2 - giving it a Stag style front and rear end gave it quite a spectacular look.