Alfa Romeo Engined 'bitsarrini'

Bitsarrini

Alfa Romeo Engined 'bitsarrini'

Post by Bitsarrini »

A quick introduction: my name is David from Somerset.

Alfa Romeo engined ‘bitsarrini’
(so named because it's 'a bit of this and a bit of that!')

I have always dreamed of a “proper” sports car (one that guarantees wind in the hair and flies in the teeth motoring!). My ‘ultimate’ car is the 1936 Mille Miglia winning 8c Alfa Romeo 2900A.
The idea of a two seater GP car being driven on ‘real’ roads appeals to me but as I don’t have the necessary £20 million to buy an original 8c 2900A, I’ve tried to make my own interpretation – a tribute to one of history’s greats. Whilst it’s not an original Alfa Romeo racing car, neither is it a replica nor a kit car but a one off evocation.

Back in 1989 a company called Classic Specials did a brilliant job of constructing a bespoke chassis utilising MGB mechanics and a Lenham Healey bodyshell. Unfortunately, in 1999, at the Castle Combe Classic Action Day I 'blew' the engine.

This turned out to be a turning point. I mean, at some point – surely - all us car enthusiasts must have dreamed about designing our own car??? But amongst all the dreamers are us fantasists; a very small, deluded, minority who actually believe that we can engineer a car as well as Vittorio Jano or Enzo Ferrari… and some of us actually put our spanners where our mouths are! Utilising the MG-Lenham chassis and Lenham Healey rear bodywork I replaced the MG engine/gearbox with that of a 1969 AR 1750 GTV. I then constructed a buck from the aeroscreens forward and used this to make a mould and from that a moulding. Although my bodywork is in no way accurate I hope it reflects the spirit of the original. Was it worthwhile? Yes. Finished just in time for my birthday a few years’ back it was a wonderful present – even if I did pay for it myself!

My cars first run: doing a ‘lap of honour’ down Bath’s main shopping street, 30 affluent looking, elderly Italians spilled over the road, blocking all the traffic pulling out cameras waving, clapping & cheering: “Bello!”, “Magnifico!”, “Sontuoso!”. Three of them (all old boys in their 70’s) got down on their knees, in the middle of a busy shopping street and mock worshiped me (well the car!). I think I made their day, they certainly made mine!
Attachments
824evn beaulieu.jpg
adc me puQyRHZj.jpg
824evnfarside.jpg
824evndashboard.jpg

Kegsti66

Re: Alfa Romeo Engined 'bitsarrini'

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.
What a great project you have there. Very unique and a credit to you.
I am sure you always have a smile on your face when you are out and about.
Top job and thanks for sharing.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Have seen this beauty on more than one occasion.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Welcome David and your superb car!
How long ago did you complete it? Just trying to figure out if I've actually seen it before or not?
Does look the part though, fantastic effort.
You're also bang on the money, a lot of us on here have dreams of doing something special like that, still haven't given up hopes on my own ideas.

Thanks for coming and showing the car, please do add some more pictures especially technical stuff like chassis build etc ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Hi David - welcome to CAF. We met at Brooklands Auto Italia a few years back, I was in my green boxer engine Nova kit car. Great to see your car is still around, making everyone smile :D

Lauren

Bitsarrini

Post by Bitsarrini »

Thanks for the welcome, fellow Alfisti!

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Nice work! It is great to create your own interpretation of an iconic car.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

The second photo you posted wouldn't look out of place on any classic car calendar.