My new project, finally got my integrale.

Sud 145

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by Sud 145 »

HaHa what cross member.....

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The radiator brackets I'd cleaned up on Sunday were ready to fit back to the freshly recored rad so set about that tonight so it's ready for fitting tomorrow.
The brackets at the front here get a hard life with all the spray with sitting behind the grille, all the rust cleaned off and sprayed with hammerite so hopefully they'll last a few years to come, the brackets are for the oil cooler to bolt to.

IMG_20190219_202232.jpg

The engine side of the rad finally got reunited with the fan housing that I had blasted and powder coated with the other bits a year or two ago. Fan got a little clean up, fresh coat of heat proof paint for the heat shield.

IMG_20190219_202159.jpg

The bottom brackets are also ready for fitting along with the intercooler shroud that again needed a good clean and paint. Inlet connector for the turbo got a lick of paint for good measure.

IMG_20190219_202958.jpg
Propshaft got its' new rubber boot for the front where it attaches, the rear end is solid mounted to the rear diff.

IMG_20190218_184911.jpg

Should be able to get a goof few bits back on it tomorrow afternoon....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Will you cut the bolts down or are they that length for a reason?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Will you cut the bolts down or are they that length for a reason?
They are just there to hold the joint to the new metal cap on the drive boot mate, the ones holding it to the transfer box are like the Sud gearbox ones, pretty much identical in fact!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Despite all the freshly revived parts ready to fit I had to ignore them and set about fitting up all the front suspension to make sure I have all the bits sorted.

Thought I'd fallen at the first hurdle with the D bushes for the front anti-roll bar, looked nothing like what they needed to be, spent an age kicking myself as the parts have been waiting to be fitted for months...should have checked before now :evil:
A check on Powerflex website though revealed that I had actually got the correct OE bushes, same shape etc as the ones to hand.

Just meant that they were super tricky to get fitted and clamped up, greasing everything up for longevity meant it all was too slippy to get in place!

Eventually though it all went together.
Powder coated parts which should hopefully last a good few years, rest cleaned and painted.
New ball joints and track rod ends, all should be good for a few years.
Attachments
IMG_20190220_210525.jpg
IMG_20190220_210540.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Slow progress continued today, had a couple of visitors too so that delayed things.
Spent ages trying to figure out what pipes went where, most were obvious but it's like Medusas' hairdo down there!
Eventually I got everything lined up save fopr one pipe, I'll have to consult the pix for that one..

So with that all about sorted I went to fit the radiator.....only to notice i'd fitted the fan shroud to the wrong side of the rad!

Oil cooler on along with the rad, now the right wy around, intercooler shoud waiting to be bolted to the 'cooler...once I've sorted the top mount for it, now I've found the mount!

Getting tight on space now, will only get worse once the heater box goes in with the bulkhead panel...

Slow progress....
Attachments
IMG_20190223_184124.jpg
IMG_20190223_195822.jpg
IMG_20190223_195833.jpg
IMG_20190223_195855.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Managed to get the integrale over the pit yesterday, I needed to fit the fuel tank before I can start the car of course but that means the propshaft needs to go on as it runs through the tank, sort of.
Was talking to Ade about this last Sunday at Donnington, it's not as bad as it sounds!
The rear section of prop that goes through the tank doesn't rotate, it's more like a torque tube.
So no danger of it rubbing through the plastic fuel tank!
As it is solidly mounted to the diff flange and bolted to the floor this also handily creates a kind of tramp bar to prevent the rear diff twisting under power.

It's been ages coming and seemingly endless more little jobs to do but it is close to starting up now....
Attachments
CIMG1154.JPG
CIMG1158.JPG
CIMG1157.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

That last pic of the fuel tank just looks so wrong.

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Looking good Kev
Every bit fitted makes the finish that but closer.

Rsfruitbat

junior

Post by junior »

Sud 145 wrote:That last pic of the fuel tank just looks so wrong.
Yep I am with you on that. The meeting when someone suggested it must have been interesting, or perhaps they just simply agreed being good engineers. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Well, the last couple of visits have been frustrating to say the least.

I'd intended to stretch the full wiring loom out to check stuff out whilst it was out of the car but never got around to it, guess it being sat in a box for a year or two wasn't long enough!

Upshot was that there's a load of wires, added to non original wires, that I really don't know where they should go to..

Once the car was plumbed in for all fluids a start up attempt was made but although the car cranked over nicely there was no spark and no activity from the fuel pump....great..

Got the fuel pump going this last Wednesday afternoon having found the missing wiring but no matter what I tried the spark was missing. Decided that a large relay that was in amongst the loom near the coil must be the issue, the fact that I couldn't find the relay to be more accurate! A good search was called. Nothing found...

So last night I set about scanning the workshop manual to see where all the wires related to ignition went, from the coil and ignition amplifier block to the distributor and inside the car to the ECU. Made myself a little wiring diagram on an A4 sheet so I could easily trace each wire.

On testing all the wires for continuity all seemed well until I tried the wires running to the ECU, one wire from the ignition amplifier to the ECU had to connection at all, must be a break somewhere in the loom. Rather than peel all the loom apart I ran a makeshift wire inside the car and joined it all up.
Still no spark! Damn, this is getting annoying, what the hell is going on.
Then I noticed, it might help if I plugged the ECU back in!
Try again, at long last a spark! 8-)

Next to check fuel was getting to the injectors, cracked off the pipe at the fuel rail and no fuel, damn again!

Stupidly I'd fitted the fuel pipes at the pump the wrong way around, a quick swap and run the pump and hey presto, fuel...…...loads of it squirting out of the new filter at the connection :evil:
Swapped out the copper sealing washers and that stopped it.
Then noticed the fuel pump was covered in fuel inside the car, a split in the O ring! Can I please catch a break :cry: Luckily I'd got a spare pump with an old connector still on it so swapped out the O ring and all well again.

Finally connected everything back up again engine wise and cranked it ion hope....it fired up straight away and settled to a lovely idle!! :) :D

At last, a running engine.

Had some funny readings on the gauges though, fuel tank insisting it was nearly full despite me putting just 3 gallons in, water temp climbing fast, no voltage reading....
Water thing was a worry but everything looked well engine wise so knew it wasn't drastic.

Turns out the whole dash gauges assembly has only one earth wire for all the gauges and warning lights, which of course wasn't earthing so all the gauges were getting mixed signals with the power to it trying to get out any way it could.
A new earth wire made up and all gauges working properly.

A big step, but a lengthy one to take, but a big step at last.

I can now start to think about getting the rest of the wiring sorted then get the wings, bonnet and lights on 8-)

Did get it to move forwards and back under its' own power again, although I've still to finalise all the brake pipes so no rides around the yard just yet, but it's getting closer ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

There you go Kev - I said it would be MOT'd on the 18th March ages ago. :lol:

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hey, big pat on the back mate.
Massive progress there. Even if it was a challenge, you got it sorted.
Top work. I really envy your drive to get things done. :mrgreen: 8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, still a way to go before the MoT gets done mate, although that's already sorted.
The guy I bought the pair of HF turbos' off last year came by a week or two back for a couple of bits I had that were no use to me, did a deal for him to MoT the car for free as he works at the garage very close to the unit, he did Rob's Imp last year. Hoping it will be this year... :D

Drive to finish things gets seriously tested mate, times when I've wanted to walk away have been and tested my resolve but I need to get this one over the finish line.
Attachments

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I hope your keeping this one Kev !

Great work.

Not be long now.....

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sounds a peach Kev.
It is so good seeing that engine bay all full again of stuff.
Power on my friend. 8-)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, a keeper this one guys, know I always say that but pretty much top of my wish list for years, well the obtainable list anyway, still would do anything for an 037 :P

Things are starting to fill up engine bay wise that's true, still more stuff needs to go in though!

Can actually start to think about fitting the wings, lights and bumpers etc 8-) another loft trip planned then :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Great news it's running . Well done kev 8-)