My new project, finally got my integrale.

KevJTD

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by KevJTD »

The wheels were bugging me.
Should have a diamond cut outer lip along with the 16 "spokes" to contrast with the darker main section of the wheel.
Shrew did a great job in powder coating them for me and originally I planned on sanding off the powder to do a cheapskate diamond cut, the length of time it would take put me off, and I did kinda like the colour. Plus it'll be no show queen so having bare alloy exposed didn't appeal that much.
Decision taken was to just fit the tyres and leave it at that, but the more I looked at them now the more it all looked too dark.

Today I set about painting the edge in silver 2K paint, some I had left over from the 147 wheels I did a while back.

Masking out though was a real PITA, first wheel took about 2 hours to mask! Finding the right technique was key, go all 4 done eventually.

IMG_20190522_172946.jpg

Putting the paint on was a doddle! Fingers are crossed that nothing too much bleeds under, the corners were tricky to get stuck down.
The contrast should now help lose the darkness from the rims.

IMG_20190522_180627.jpg
I had hoped to get them done sooner so I could finish a few jobs on the car but at least I got the side skirts refitted.

IMG_20190522_194519.jpg

MoT is now booked for June 8th, had hoped for June 1st but Chris is on his Hols that day, the extra week could come in handy still!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

Hope it sails through Kev and finishes off what has been a tough restoration. Was looking at a red one yesterday and the mechanic was cursing the size of the heater taking up so much room from

the engine bay. Good luck. :D

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Definitely the right decision re the wheels Kev. Can't wait to see it in its full glory.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, think the wheels have been worth the effort.

Went up to the unit tonight to take the masking off, fit the wheels and do the front & rear tracking whilst I could borrow the gauges from work..

IMG_20190524_184308.jpg

Bit of work to do on some not quite straight masking lines but they're good from 10 paces, good enough as they'll be no pampered show wheels.

All back on and tracking set, just got to decide which centre caps now....standard Lancia ones or some red Abarth ones that Jim is digging out for me that I had on my old Dedra turbo..bit of red in the wheels seemed to brighten them more on the Dedra but Jim preferred Lancia ones so he has a set doing nothing..

IMG_20190524_203929.jpg

The rear badges I'm not sure what you guys will think of them. The original ones had faded badly and I couldn't bring myself to use them, new ones are available for around £80 a pair..

My lad Rob gave me a HF badge for Xmas last year so I wanted to use that somehow, wouldn't have blended in with the originals and I already had the grille HF one.

As I don't plan on spraying the bottom few inches of the hatch black like it should be (makes it look like a rotten bottom lip has been undersealed over to me) and I'm not too much of a stickler for originality on this car I came across what I thought would be a nice solution.

Cheaper too, so that was a bonus!

IMG_20190524_210032.jpg
Left one where the Lancia badge was is from the Martini 6 cars to celebrate the 6th consecutive World Rally Championship in a row, integrale badge from the same with my Xmas gift HF badge alongside.

I like them anyway, guess that's all that matters! :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Looks great mate, wheels do look better with the silver around the rim and the badges finish the tailgate off a treat.
Good luck for the MOT.

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Never noticed this thread before I don't think..
Fantastic work, I have my sud sprint but also a 1993 Lord blu evo2 integrale 16v Kat.
Looks like you have had your hands full with that one .
I scans through alot of the thread.... did you work out if it was a 16v with 8v engine fitted or an 8v Kat in the end? For me as far as I know if it was a kat car it would have the flatter cam covers .. and a bump in the passenger footwell For the Kat to live in like my own evo2 ...
Fantastic effort saving it....
Peter

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Pete Jennings wrote:Never noticed this thread before I don't think..
Fantastic work, I have my sud sprint but also a 1993 Lord blu evo2 integrale 16v Kat.
Looks like you have had your hands full with that one .
I scans through alot of the thread.... did you work out if it was a 16v with 8v engine fitted or an 8v Kat in the end? For me as far as I know if it was a kat car it would have the flatter cam covers .. and a bump in the passenger footwell For the Kat to live in like my own evo2 ...
Fantastic effort saving it....
Peter

Hi Peter.

Thanks, yes it's been a challenge but very nearly there...

It was a 16V car from new, build date was around Sept '89 so a fairly early 16V.
It came into UK where it donated it's running gear to Walkers for their Rally car, as near as we can pin down it fits too well to not be the car.
Walkers confirm they bought one around that time for the above, car was then RHD converted and put back in the dealer network to be sold on cheap with the 8V engine etc from the Walkers Rally car, it ended up at the Mountview Motors Horncastle dealer when around a year old, this was when the guy saw it whilst having his new Delta HF turbo serviced (only new car he'd ever bought he tells me) so he couldn't refuse trading in his one and only car!
He has had it since until I got it from him in 2015, so practically 2 owners from new including me!

Got it insured today, quite a good deal with Lancaster who I've used in the past.
Comprehensive cover, of course. 5,000 miles, agreed value all for £168 which I didn't think was too bad seeing as that's not using any NCB.
I remember paying 5 times that for a Delta 1.5 back in the late 80's!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Ah fasinating, from memory the 8v motor is suprisingly torquey compared to the 16v... I assume you have stuck with the 8v engine....
Yes my insurance for my evo is similar money... I'm 44 and have owned it now 16 years.... as I say...Fantastic job in saving it..'.enjoy it , really nothing like it.
Cheers
Peter

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Btw the integrale is indeed not obd2.... it is the old fiat 3 pin diagnostic plug, located behind the little panel to the side of the centre console on the drivers side...( in your rhd car) in the foot well .
Out of interest your ecu doesn't actually store codes... so it will only report live faults if you plug a fiat lancia tester /acr4 etc into it... only the evo 2 ecu has a memory for stored codes.
Cheers
Peter

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Now you mention that Peter I do recall seeing the 3 pin plug around the ecu area, which is mounted above the gear linkage.

Thanks for the info ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

MoT time in the morning, fingers crossed.

Gave it a wash and polish tonight

Finally got the seat covers off the seats to reveal the Recaros' in brilliant condition considering how fragile these ones are at this age
Attachments
CIMG1204.JPG
CIMG1206.JPG
CIMG1213.JPG
IMG_20190607_204659.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I am well chuffed for you mate, and a little green :mrgreen:
Looks fantastic and am sure your MOT is in the bag.
Looking forward to seeing it in the metal. Awesome work Kev.

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

That really does look the "Mutts-Nuts".

junior

Post by junior »

Fantastic, One very `RED' car finished ! That has come a long way and its quite a feat have stuck with it through the gritty days.

Well done. Impressed. :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

That’s looks awesome Kev, surely a keeper now ? Looking forward to seeing it........inspiration for another red car :D , after a good long rest of course.

Seriously, the silver sud, robs imp and now your lancia, top notch all round. Make sure you enjoy it through summer, remember to wear your mc hammer silk pants when driving it to protect those seats.

Lancia......hmm quite fancy a fulvia ?

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Loving the Martini 6 badging on the rear.... and to see you haven't drilled the boot lid for an evo spoiler.....
Enjoy.
Peter

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

]
Attachments
My own evo2.
My own evo2.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

We have some cracking looking Lancias on here.
Yours looks a beauty as well Peter. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers guys for all the comments.

It has indeed been a bit of a trial at times, the interruptions making it more so.

It had been my dream car for years, since the RAC rally days in reality, so to get one then have to wait for 4 years to complete it was tough at times.

But this morning I arrived for Chris to do his stuff, wet of course!

IMG_20190608_092411.jpg

Car passed with no real issues. Most stuff I was confident on, emissions was one thing I couldn't be sure of. Shouldn't have worried, CO level perfect at 1.9% for a 3.5% limit (no cat remember) at HC only in the low 140's with a 1,200 limit, probably would be lower if it hadn't been ticking over for most of it's recent life!
Brakes that I commented to Chris were in need of bedding in were confirmed by Chris' road-test that yes, they worked and thankfully well enough to pass the test. The integrale should never be used on a brake roller setup locking one wheel at a time, wrecks the diffs. A decelerometer road test is used, same as I used to do on the VW campervans!

With test passed the road tax could be bought, more for 6 months than a year for the Giulietta!

Torrential rain on the way back down to Horncastle, the classic bikes at Cadwell must have been having a torrid time! Glad the car is sealed up underneath!
Filled with V power and off to see Jim who I used his workshops to do the welding in then home.

This afternoon I was tempted to go up to Cadwell to take some snaps but decided that I would fulfil my promise to go see Tony the original owner, he'd sold it to me on the promise I'd take it back to show him.
Didn't ring to see if he was home, thought I'd surprise him.
Now he's in his 80's he doesn't get out much bless the old boy, still as sharp as a tack despite his recent illnesses which have seen him lose the sight in one eye, but he couldn't stop smiling. Well worth all the work for an hour or so in his company.

CIMG1215.JPG

The old boy then started asking me to get him some parts for his Flaminia that he's had in his garage! Like he is about to start getting it going gain! A look to his Mrs said it all :roll:
Been in his garage for 30+ years so think it'll need more than a battery to get it back to life!
Wouldn't mind it though...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

That done I stopped off at the foot of the Lincolnshire Wolds to take a few snaps where I once took some of VJM, that was 10 years ago!

CIMG1225.JPG
CIMG1222.JPG
Back home to where it was 4 years ago...

CIMG1239.JPG
CIMG1290.JPG
CIMG1283.JPG

Your black EVO looks great Peter, I was tempted by a roof spoiler until it came to the price :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Yes ...... drive up the road for the brake test always..... diffs are expensive these days...... actually mine is Dark blue..... Lord blu 438f... one of around 400 in that colour.... evo2 was the rarest version.... only 2500 build between may 93 and early 95.
Cheers
Peter
Last edited by Pete Jennings on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Ah, that's a very dark blue Peter, or is it just the pictures that make t look that way?
Very nice car either way though. 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Pete Jennings

Post by Pete Jennings »

Yeah Lord blu is very dark..... same colour the evo1 club italia is...and the evo2 lancia club(half of them... other half were rosso...) and club HiFi ltd editions ... evo2 "standard cars" were rosso, Bianco or Lord.... with beige high back interior.
I have owned since 2003.
100k on the clock or there abouts.
Love it... Will never sell.... one day I hope for it to live side by side with my sprint.
My babies.
Peter

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cracking job Kev, and lovely that you took the car over to the original owner. A man of your word.
Enjoy the rewards of your labour. :D

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Cracking job Kev, another epic, been great to follow, 2000 sedan next?

:D
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

York Sud

Post by York Sud »

Or Flaminia.........?
96 Alfa 145 QV
74 VW beetle
69 Mini Cooper
71 mini pickup
74 mini Mk3
83 mini Mayfair
68 Morris Traveller
01 Discovery Td5
11 TDV8 Range Rover
14 C63 Merc Shooting Brake

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Excellent job Kev.....I'm not on the site much these days since I sold the 6C, but it must have been fate that I returned to see you get your HF MoTd and back on the road....Very Well Done!

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Great end to the restoration journey to take it back to the old guy that owned it, and a great milestone and start of your journey enjoying using the integrale.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Well done Kev - I think we can call it a draw, the Green Machine successfully went through MoT yesterday as well. And just like you, I had a full set of new Ferodo brake pads that hadn't been bedded in, and I couldn't avoid the rain coming back either!

I look forward to seeing the car for real at a show - any plans for the coming months? MITCAR perhaps?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Been out in the car again today, pushed it a bit more on familiar roads, dry today so safer to find the limit!

The car feels incredibly nimble, not unlike a Sud really in that you feel the lack of mass.

Of course it has limpet grip levels, lack of body roll coupled with the 4WD grip out of the bends means you never actually feel like you're close to the limit, let alone finding it!

On bends where even the 145 would feel like you're leaning too near the edge for road driving it just swallows it up, the modern JTD's feel like barges compared to this.

That's the good news.

Bad news is the oil pressure isn't what I want it to be....

On the engine rebuild I did what was reasonably sensible and within a reasonable budget, this has never been an open chequebook build.

Loads of parts I could have bought as a precaution like new crank, refurbished head, new pistons, new rods etc etc. The one thing I should have done in hindsight was to spend the extra £200 or so on an oil pump.

Back to the unit with it tonight so I can start the strip down this week, I'm hoping that I can do it without removing the engine....which isn't as easy as it looks, and it looks a PITA!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS