My new project, finally got my integrale.

Kegsti66

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by Kegsti66 »

Cracking job mate, well done.
Look forward to seeing them. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

One thing that is easier than doing up a Sud is that far more new parts are available, people are making new stuff.
Handy when things like the window regulator goes wrong, £110 for a brand new unit isn't cheap but when you've been used to trying to find the best used one you can it is at least a new unit!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

What front fogs not decided ! :o :shock:

No use having a vote and then not following through with it, how would it be if you ran the country like that ! :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

junior wrote:What front fogs not decided ! :o :shock:

No use having a vote and then not following through with it, how would it be if you ran the country like that ! :lol:

:lol:

Ah, but I didn't publish a deadline ;)

Which was actually to give it a week for the results to be in, which are overwhelming.....blanks 6 votes, fogs 3.... 8-)

I really don't have a strong opinion either way so was happy to let the majority rule, so the blanks will be going in....for this season at least :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Fogs!
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

A few more bits and pieces done now, car is starting to be complete.
Actually tied up quite a few loose ends this weekend.
Been up to the unit this morning to keep things going, carpet, seat belts, front and rear seats now in.
The front recaro's are in fantastic condition due to the old guy having used those seat covers since new.
Attachments
IMG_20190421_143914.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

New passenger side door electric window mechanism arrived this week so managed to get that fitted and the rust treatment sprayed inside the door so all door cards built up now.

Whilst outside it said hello to my latest daily driver!

A pair of cars now with twin exhaust pipes 8-)
Attachments
IMG_20190420_193357.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

When did you get the Giulietta Kev, has anything gone or is the fleet just getting bigger? :lol:
What spec is it, I guess you have stuck with diesel, 170bhp?
Recently taken custody of one myself. Getting use to it now, and rather pleased with it.
Makes the 'Grale look tiny. :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ha ha !!
Just noticed your other post. All the answers there :oops:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Getting a few jobs ticked off the list, it's a long list!

One of the dreaded jobs though was the roof lining which is material glued to the cardboard type shaped liner. The foam backing had all rotted off leaving a saggy mess.

IMG_20190116_143106.jpg
The rubber edges are all screwed together from behind, trapping the material.

IMG_20190116_143153.jpg

First attempt to glue the material down resulted in a lot of creases and an aborted screwed up mess. :evil:

Luckily I'd ordered enough material to do the panel and the sunroof so still had half left, of course I now had non for the sunroof!

Rerun went better though, after I'd peeled off all the old glue residue and bits of foam, a little bobbly but more than acceptable.

Left it like this for the glue to have a good spell at drying before cutting out the sunroof opening and gluing the material over the opening.

IMG_20190424_163418.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Under the bonnet is pretty much sorted now, airbox finally back in with freshly cut to size silicon inlet hose, Lancia ones NLA but a standard 60mm pipe has done the trick once cut to length.

The sticker set has brightened things up a little, chassis plate rivetted back on.

I got hold of an alloy heat/water deflector for the front bonnet vent. It's a bit of a bad design really putting a vent there, water can run into the engine bay over the distributor cap! This vent channels any water away from the sparks but also will allow air travelling through the top of the radiator an easy route out through the bonnet when on the move. I've had to cut the bonnet liner to suit which is drying out having had a good wash.
Attachments
IMG_20190428_210543.jpg
IMG_20190428_210650.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The roof lining is back in the car so I could now get all the interior lights working along with the clock panel that mounts near the rear view mirror.
I tried fitting the aerial that I have had for a while but it turned out that a cheap aerial is a crap aerial, it was useless so went in the bin.

Got the panel to make for the sunroof then it'll be about watertight so can at last get a wash!

Tons of small jobs done, too small to mention, but all take time to sort.

Fitted up the powerflex anti-roll bar bushes to replace the ones I'd previously fitted which didn't allow the little clamps to go onto the roll bar. The powerflex ones are a bigger bore to allow the OE half moon sleeves to sit on the bar inside the bush to let the clamps go on to the sleeve ends to prevent sideways movement.

IMG_20190428_192656.jpg
The front of the propshaft had a bracket which looks like it's there if the front joint fails so it collects the flailing propshaft. The original was so thin and rusty that it wouldn't stand up to a breeze let alone a flailing prop!
As I had some 3mm steel I cut some out and made a guard.

IMG_20190428_181402.jpg
Sits here, off now so I could paint it. Should at least be a bit more capable of surviving the task at hand!

IMG_20190428_181314.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Lots done there mate. Looking great.
Top marks again to you. ;)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Don't ever anyone tell her, but the Mrs has done a good job on sewing a panel together for the underside of the sliding sunroof.
Fitted it all up tonight, just about the right amount of tension on the rods within the edge pieces.
i'll fit the seal then it can go in the car which should just about make it watertight so can at last be washed!
Attachments
IMG_20190502_192349.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Seems like the same manual sunroof as I've got in my (still for sale!) Beta Coupe.

When I'm closing mine, I have to push the sunroof upwards to get it to sit flush with the roof.

Very difficult to see the mechanism with the sunroof in place......

Any clues on whats wrong with it!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:Seems like the same manual sunroof as I've got in my (still for sale!) Beta Coupe.

When I'm closing mine, I have to push the sunroof upwards to get it to sit flush with the roof.

Dunno Dave, I'll have a look and see......probably find out when it comes to putting mine back in!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

The emotional rollercoaster continues.

Got the roof lining back in which I trimmed to reasonable effect myself, simple job to other people but a drama to me!

The sunroof that was sorted by the Mrs went back in after a little issue with the outer seals seeming to have shrunken since being removed..

IMG_20190511_205752.jpg

The front wheel arch liners needed to go back in which caused its' own confusions as I seem to have collected quite a few from the HF turbos which given the integrales' wider arches are different, so took some figuring out which was which!
Once grommets had been fitted behind them then all went in well.

another pink picture, honestly it's not this colour!

IMG_20190511_205702.jpg

Now, it suddenly dawned on me. With all arches sealed up and bodywork complete there was no reason why I couldn't give it a little test drive...if only to see if the soggy brake pedal was indeed just pads needing bedding in like I hoped..

Never driven an integrale before so didn't know what to expect, only short blast 2nd & 3rd gear stuff off roads, but it is kinda fierce :D

Emotional rollercoaster?

There's an issue somewhere as when it gets to proper boost something isn't happy as it kills the engine on full power, hopefully a sensor issue somewhere..

And the brakes which I hoped out of desperation would be a bedding in iusse are not getting any better. I've tried all manor of methods to bleed them several times but looks like there's still more work to do, hoping it's not that new master cylinder although I fear it is....PITA to get at now...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:Seems like the same manual sunroof as I've got in my (still for sale!) Beta Coupe.

This is the underside of the sunroof panel Dave, may be the same as yours?

When you close the handle it pulls back on white plastic lugs at the end lifting the rear of the sunroof back up and locking it in place, maybe the plastic lugs have come off yours?
Attachments
IMG_20180917_111958.jpg
IMG_20180917_112012.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

"Never driven an integrale before so didn't know what to expect, only short blast 2nd & 3rd gear stuff off roads, but it is kinda fierce :D "

Sounds a good start Kev.
I am sure you will iron out the problems and it will be great. You are getting spoilt with that DNA option. :lol:
Power on mate , you are nearly there. :D

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Hi kev
Looking amazing.
I am good that vacuum bleeding brakes is far better than pressure bleeding them. Maybe worth a try??

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I've tried all sorts to bleed it, pressure, manual and vacuum. Still no joy.

Day off today so got pretty much all of the last jobs tidied up.

The side skirts I'd ignored for some time but time has come for them to be prepped. Driver side one had a couple of cracks in it so that got repaired aluminium mesh behind and super glue in the crack.
As they had faded fairly well and had some severe rust stains on them (not themselves obviously being plastic, but from the doors in its' previous life!) I decided to paint them with the same 2K satin black paint that I did the rest of the black trim with. Also had a fair collection of underseal caked to the underside which needed cleaning off.

With those baking off in the sunshine I could turn my attention to the rest of the car.

Boot got hoovered out the side panels cleaned and fitted back in, all tidied out there.

The few remaining warning lights on the dash got sorted out, glovebox back in etc. A few wires tidied up. Fitted the earth to the O/S/R light which I'd missed off connecting, as you do!

Pretty much there now, save for the brake problem...

Decided it needs to be tackled in a logical fashion so next time up there I'll remove the servo and master cylinder to see if they are in order incase something daft like the gap is wrong between the two. I can also then bleed out the master cylinder using bleed nipples to ensure I get it bled before going back on and to more importantly ensure it has itself good pressure, I can then move on along the system assuming all is well with the new master cylinder fitment...
Attachments
CIMG1183.JPG
CIMG1182.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Years ago we had trouble bleeding a Fiat 600. Rang a main dealer, the mechanic asked how many times we'd bled it. When told 3 times he said try 3 times more and you should have it about right. Perhaps the Lancia is the same?

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Years ago we had trouble bleeding a Fiat 600. Rang a main dealer, the mechanic asked how many times we'd bled it. When told 3 times he said try 3 times more and you should have it about right. Perhaps the Lancia is the same?

:lol: probably is as awkward mate, damn car seems reluctant to give me a break :roll:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

KevJTD wrote:
Sud 145 wrote:Years ago we had trouble bleeding a Fiat 600. Rang a main dealer, the mechanic asked how many times we'd bled it. When told 3 times he said try 3 times more and you should have it about right. Perhaps the Lancia is the same?

:lol: probably is as awkward mate, damn car seems reluctant to give me a break :roll:
Mine took many times to get half decent and then I just used it and all is very good now. Only took a year ! :lol:

Great to see a very rusty car done up so well and and looking so lovely .......................................and PINK. :lol:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Its funny how things work out - I too am on the home straight with my Nova rebuild, finally carpeted out and with the drivers seat bolted back into place I was able to check the brakes - and I've got a long pedal travel, exactly what I would expect if one of the master cylinders wasn't building pressure :cry:

I rebuilt both master cylinders (AP Racing 0.625" bore with a balance bar retrofitted into the Alfasud pedal box) several years ago with new seals but it looks like maybe there is a problem somewhere. I just hope it isn't my shiny rear brake calipers, I don't think I could cope with the trauma...

I hope your brake issue is an easy fix Kev, following your Lancia odyssey has been inspirational...

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Yes, cheers guys. I too hope it's an easy fix!

The car has been a drama for a while actually, hit the phycological wall some time back but have been forcing myself to carry on due to promising to be at the Lancia club AGM in August, plus of course I want to drive the damn thing!

Glad people seem to find encouragment from it though, if only to show that things can be done if you're bloody inded enough to carry on regardless..

But all of a sudden it's remarkably close to being MoT worthy...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Can't see any white lugs on my Beta sunroof Kev...

But really, its impossible to see in there.

I have to raise the front of the sunroof to get it to close flush.....but its no problem

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi Kev
Just read one of your posts regarding first test drive . My Question is what Revs did you have on and how much boost was being raised when the engine cut ? It sounds like boost or possible wastegate issue
I have a code reader that should work on the intergrale. If you need any help

Lou
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers Lou.
It was literally only a few hundred yards mainly to try and bed the brakes in but I too think it's a boost related issue. Wasn't off the gauge or anything boost wise so could be something not happy sensor wise, around 4.5k WOT but around 1b boost. Not sure what the standard boost level is, not looked into it.
I'll have a look over things and see if I've any connectivity with the laptop but I can't even recall seeing the old 3 pin connector let alone a 16 pin OBD one! I'll let you know if I need help ;)

Yesterday I got the brakes working at least to a useable level, still hoping they'll improve with bedding in.
There was a lot of free play in the cross linkage before the pedal started to move the servo actuator pushrod, probably due to all the repairs and refitting. That wasn't helping pedal travel!
I got the master cylinder off and tested it's functionality using bleed nipples in the outlet ports so happy that it is working OK.
Some more bleeding afterwards and finally an acceptable pedal.

The front wheelarches I've decided to spray with the protective wax to try and stop any rot coming back. After all the effort to seal and paint them it seems criminal to make a mess over them but as there is a plastic wheel arch liner in the fronts then washing them out with a hosepipe would be impossible, at least I know there'll be some protection should dirt and moisture get in behind the liners.

IMG_20190518_203405.jpg

The sideskirts I'd painted last time were ready for the new badges...

IMG_20190518_212002.jpg

All painted up in the same satin black after the cracks being repaired, I wanted a slightly poor finish to them rather than a smooth shiny finish so they will be left as is rather than flatted and polished.

IMG_20190518_212554.jpg

Dangerously close to MoT time now....I'll talk to Chris tomorrow to see when he can do it for me...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

LooLooSud33Spider

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

I’m pretty sure The Grale was too early for OBD2 but should have the small 3 pin connector. (I’ll check my files to see if I can remember where it’s located) Check you’ve got a small boost pipe on your fuel reg. the pressure need to increase as boost increases if not it could give you the problem you talk about. I have a Sykes code reader that works on cars of that era. It proved very usefull when we were getting the spider working. As it is compatible with the Fiat aswell .
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo