My new project, finally got my integrale.

junior

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by junior »

Not surprised your pleased, that is going great guns. Looks well too.

The glass fitting well after all your repairs must me doubly pleasing. Keep posting ta. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

junior wrote:Not surprised your pleased, that is going great guns. Looks well too.

The glass fitting well after all your repairs must me doubly pleasing. Keep posting ta. :D

Cheers mate, will keep posting then :D

Tonight I thought I'd have an hour or so to start the block stripdown. I want to get it stripped down to all it's component parts then get stuffed checked before a rebuild.

IMG_20181201_213719.jpg
IMG_20181201_213726.jpg
All a bit grotty after nearly 30 years use.

The engine has a cast iron block with a double section sump, this is an alloy deep section that has a steel bottom portion where the sump plug is.

IMG_20181207_204507.jpg
IMG_20181207_204542.jpg
Big end shells look about ready to be changed! Luckily though the crank appears in good health but it'll all get checked out soon at the machine shop.

IMG_20181207_213404.jpg
Bores look in great shape, minimal wear with no discernible wear lip should see them just need a hone once checked, new rings and shells is my hope.....

IMG_20181207_213255.jpg

An hour starting the stripdown turned into a couple of hours and all done, saves me a job for Sunday I guess!

I'll get stuff ready to drop off on Wednesday with crossed fingers that all will be OK and with a bit of luck all back to me before Christmas
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

Looking good Kev.
Any problems with gaskets, shells, rings let me know.
Got areal good contact at a local company called MAR Motorsport.

Rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

rsfruitbat wrote:Looking good Kev.
Any problems with gaskets, shells, rings let me know.
Got areal good contact at a local company called MAR Motorsport.

Rsfruitbat

Will bear that in mind mate, cheers. ;)
Stuff is relatively easy to come by though, far easier than a Sud for instance, but not as easy as anything with Ford before it!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Rob was up at the unit today sorting a few bits on the Imp, he's got quite a list of tasks for the winter.
Couldn't help but notice how big his Suzuki Swift looked next to the Brera...
Attachments
IMG_20181208_154527.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Started off my day by building up the last remaining door, passenger front. The fitting of the seal took its usual lengthy pain in both fingers and time taken.

I'd made the decision that the dash ought to go in before the doors went on to aid access, trouble is the fitting of the dash is no small task and I really don't want to have to take it out again.

Whilst access was still good the pedal box, brake servo and linkages were all buttoned up.

Time for the brave pills then.

When I took the dash out two or three years ago I removed all the wiring from it then pulled the dash, this was very awkward as the heater channels amongst other parts also needed to be removed to aid the dash removal.
When I stripped the Delta HF last year that I broke to get the useful parts I left the wiring attached and dragged everything engine wise back through the bulkhead still attached to the dash, more bulky to handle but far easier in the long term. A while back I dragged the dash and wiring up to the unit and used the HF dash a s reminder of what went where attaching it all back together.

With a big dash and a mountain of wiring to feed through each side it wasn't a job I was looking forward to but it needed doing.
First off though I cut out some 20mm soundproofing and stuck that to the bulkhead, the original stuff just disintegrated when it came out.

Some huffing and tucgging but in reality it went in well, especially considering the amount of alterations the bulkhead has had where it mounts.

IMG_20181208_193820.jpg
IMG_20181208_193834.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Quite a bit of wiring that had to be dragged through!
Attachments
IMG_20181208_193858.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

As the door was ready for fitting it seemed rude not to fit it!
IMG_20181208_200631.jpg
Snug fit for the dash and 'screen
IMG_20181208_200652.jpg

A tip for when tapping the roll pin in for the check strap, put a few strips of masking tape above it so your hammer doesn't mark the paint! :)

IMG_20181208_202811.jpg

Heater box is about ready to go in, new wiper linkage from the scuttle conversion lines up nice, I'll test it before fitting though to make sure it actually works! May strip and grease it all anyway just so it can be on and stay on.

Then laid out the rest of the wiring for inside the car, labels I added are just about still readable so hopefully stuff will go back where it needs to...

IMG_20181208_210739.jpg

Chuffed with my days work, getting the dash in was weighing heavily on my mind, never an easy task...fingers crossed it won't have to be repeated...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Great effort , well done. That is a lot off the big list :D

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

This is really flying along now .top work kev 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers guys, yes was a good effort yesterday. Mind you another long day. At work in the morning for 8am until 12, home for food then up to the unit by 2pm. Didn't leave there until near 10PM, home for a shower and eating Lasagne and chips at 11PM isn't really the done thing I guess but needs must if this car is going to be on the road next spring ;)

Having a lazy day today though, just washed the 145 and Brera so afternoon in front of the TV for me 8-)

Unless I pop down the shed to ticker with the remaining bits of the engine :roll: :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I am convinced you are some sort of time traveller Kev.
You seem to freeze time in your unit so that you can cram days worth of work into hours.
Lancia is really coming together now and will be great when you have finished it. You even find time to post as well. Amazing.. :mrgreen:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Don't know about time travel mate, it's sleep I really need!

Gonna turn in soon, an early night for a change, just catching up on some MotoGP stuff.

Am thinking about connection up a battery next time so I can check electrical stuff actually on the car, easy enough to isolate the stuff that would be live attached to the engine so I don't burn it down! Or at least in a few visits time once I start fitting stuff up. Realised that putting the front door windows in isn't a great idea yet with them being electric! Not so easy to move the car around without being able to steer so at least the drivers window will need leaving out, or down at least.

As you guys well know though, once you start the rebuild it brings more enthusiasm.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

Any photos of you eating Lasagne and chips!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

alfadave wrote:Any photos of you eating Lasagne and chips!
I know I take a lot of pics mate, but I missed that! :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

I would .....if I could......but I can't!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Engine all stripped down now, got the balance shafts and their bearings out tonight.
Decided that although the waterway core plugs looked in fine fettle on the outside the fact that they are now 30 years old they ought to be changed, so popped them out. They were in great condition underneath! Oh well, at least when the block gets flushed it'll flow nicely.
An end plate at the gearbox end also came off, look behind it! Hotspot city!!
IMG_20181211_194735.jpg
Quite a build up of crud and sand..

IMG_20181211_194754.jpg
Boot of the Brera loaded up with bits now to drop off tomorrow afternoon, every car has to earn it's keep :D

Hoping they'll be able to have a good look at least if not get things done before Xmas, at least then I'll be able to plan on rebuilding it in the new Year.
Loads of parts to clean up yet though, but thankfully nothing broken to repair...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

rsfruitbat

Post by rsfruitbat »

how on earth does that much crud and sand end up inside the gearbox???

rsfruitbat

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

rsfruitbat wrote:how on earth does that much crud and sand end up inside the gearbox???

rsfruitbat

That's the engine block mate, inside the waterway at the back of the block. Head face at top of picture, rear crank seal mounting plate at bottom of picture. There's a blanking plate that bolts over that hole where the crud has settled in the waterway. With all that muck sat there (was a good inch high) then the cooling would be compromised on that cylinder, OK near the bottom but still would affect the cooling abilities.

Took the parts to the local place this afternoon to get them checked and they no longer do engine work!
I've measured and checked stuff and it all looks good to me but I still wouldn't mind a second opinion at this stage whilst it's all apart. Simply no lip at top of bore and all in great order so confident the block will be fine.
Just would have been preferable to give the block and head a light skim to be sure.
Is another guy local who I used years back who I thought had packed up, heard tonight he's still going so I'll speak to him tomorrow.

Di clean the block down at work though which has come up a treat. Old Terry from up the units (Moggy owner) gave me a good tip for cheap degreaser a while back, oven cleaner! so I got a couple of quids worth from B&M and it took no time to eat the dirt away, powerwashed down and it's come up like new. Goggles needed though, that stuff is strong! Wiped my brow with my fleece and stung like crazy just from the splashback! Didn't dare use it on the alloy head, had visions of it melting :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Yet more progress. Your flying chap . As for using oven cleaner . Used it a few times for degreasing. Works great doesn't it :D