My new project, finally got my integrale.

KevJTD

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by KevJTD »

A bit of a pictureless jigsaw puzzle I guess but I'm sure it'll not be that bad...

Probably got to chop the bottom few inches of the outer 1/4 bottom too, so that'll need a new one making up.

I'll make a start next week.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

junior

Post by junior »

Good luck with it all. I would find it over whelming. Esp as you say mentally.

Mind you that might be just because I went to Brightwell's auction yesterday and some of the stuff they have as an

`easy ' restoration are far from it. :o

Will you go for aa alloy or plastic cat flap in the boot or is the cat to be evicted. :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

lol, cat well and truly evicted mate, although at the moment there is a wide array of entrances to chose from!

to be honest the rear end isn't as much of a concern as the strut top bits was, ok the rear suspension towers are pretty much of the floating design at the moment but nothing much more complicated than that. the rest doesn't need to be particularly accurate for me, it's my car and will be forever so originality in the rear inner wheel arch isn't too much of a concern. once I get started I don't think it'll be too serious.
once I get the floor/turret/inner 1/4 panel all attached to each other again i'll build it back on the rollover thingy and make an inner arch and weld it in whilst the car is upside-down

don't think it'll be as bad as some bits, or i'm getting immune to it all!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

I think just immune to it chap. It's just time . Same with my car . Any normal person would give up .were just hero's :lol:
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

time to start on the rear end work

dug out my tilt frame and with a fresh load of angle and box section the plan was to build up some supports then get it on the tilter

on reflection it seemed wise to try and get a bit of strength into the easier to reach areas before attempting to lift the car from both ends. so the drivers side arch was the winner today.
CIMG0005.JPG
there was quite a complex array of angles and differing sections that converge there, probably was it has rotted out so much as plenty of double seams for moisture to get into.

aim was to build it all back up as it should be, but that would require quite a few complex repair sections to be made up. then considered just plating over it all with some flat plate but didn't want to allow flexing, without the angled return sections it's not half as strong as it ought to be. tried to make one big repair section but that proved too time consuming. chopped out what rot there was then assessed the situation
CIMG0192.JPG
quite a few sections made up to make it good and strong, including the important bits like around the seat belt anchorage!
CIMG0199.JPG
all welded up and ground back
CIMG0204.JPG
rest of the inner arch i'll do once the car is on it's side, passenger side to sort next time then up on the tilter it'll go
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Never easy .but it's turned out great kev 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Lovely job done there Kev.
You just make it look so easy. Top work. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

don't know about making it look easy, must admit that it stumps me for some time on these bits. have to have a think then re-think, stop for a game of Sudoku on the phone, then realise that nobody is coming to do it for me so best have a go!

started out trying to make the whole length it one go but it twists and turns far more than the pictures show, would have taken hours to make something in one piece. worst part is getting going, once a piece is added and more bits gets made it starts to become clearer which direction to go in, I liken it to a big old flywheel that needs some starting but once going it carries momentum to keep at it..

started off with a small curved section plug welded to the door seal seam. the flange that sits under the wheel-arch sits mid point between the hole I cut, patch for attaching to the inner part laid here waiting to be attached and dollied into shape as it gets fitted
CIMG0194.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Awesome stuff Kev, you seem to have no fear!

Cheers Ian
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

today the drivers rear arch needed finishing off, at least the forward section of it anyway, top side and rear i'll do when I can get the car upside down

the end of the sill needed capping in along with the inner face of the inner arch needs repairing and fastening to the new bits I put in last time. arch itself also looks a bit worse for wear
CIMG0212.JPG
bottom of the arch where it meets the sill is also a bit rough
CIMG0215.JPG
at least the rot hasn't travelled too far..
CIMG0216.JPG
CIMG0217.JPG
first bit made and welded in
CIMG0219.JPG
then the piece linking to the new sill
CIMG0220.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

next job to chop off the rust arch edge and make a new one,
CIMG0225.JPG
bottom of the inner arch was all capped in plus the inner section linked into the previous new lip
CIMG0226.JPG
new arch all welded in, it is quite a narrow folded edge that goes back on itself, like a U turn
CIMG0228.JPG
when the door is closed the arch sits inside the door edge return, quite the muck trap, always needs careful cleaning which is why they rust so well!
CIMG0233.JPG
when the door is closed and the sill cover is on you can't see a thing of all the hard work!
CIMG0231.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Other projects have again delayed progress on the Delta, despite having this week off work with the intentions of getting a few days on it I've only managed to get there today :roll:

So here goes a small update :)

The rear extension arches that the integrale has had some rot in the bottom corners with the unusual sight of some pop rivets on the inner side, something wasn't quite like it left the factory!
CIMG0256.JPG
Sanding off the paint from the outside revealed what has been done in the past, a repair section has been riveted over the top, a galvanised piece by the looks of it but that still didn't stop it rotting through both old and new pieces :) You'll also notice the lip doesn't line up with the door edge, something that had got me thinking as the rest of the door lines are fine...
CIMG0269.JPG
Only thing to do is to chop it all out and make a new arch section.
CIMG0312.JPG
Held up to where it should go you can see how the previous repair section didn't meet the door properly along the bottom.
CIMG0313.JPG
Bit more fettling to make a crisp joggled edge and reach for the welder......to be greeted by no gas :(

So all that effort and still didn't achieve a lot :D

Just a case of welding it in though next time, careful to check alignment with the bumper too ;)
CIMG0316.JPG
CIMG0314.JPG
Of course there is still a huge amount of reconstruction to be done behind the outer arch including making somewhere to mount the side bumper guide, and making a side bumper guide! :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Great fabricating going on there Kev.
Really getting on well with the job now, don't forget the clocks change this weekend.
You're going to have to find a bigger gas bottle mate.
Keep up the great work. :D

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Great attention to detail as always. 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers guys. Much appreciated 8-)

It's proving a bit tricky to figure things out where they should be with nothing but fresh air to go on, the side bumper mount guide needs to be in the correct 3D position which isn't as easy as it sounds, but I'll figure it out somehow.

Did manage to get a couple of hours at it this afternoon whilst waiting to go to East Kirkby for the Lancaster taxi run and fireworks tonight, panel all welded in to where it needs to be, the rest I'll reconstruct on Wednesday or have a go at least!
Attachments
CIMG0322.JPG
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

As much as I've tried to put it off the time came to chop out the boot floor grot, the outer seam got peeled back as it looked like there may be problems all along but thankfully only the top surface needs changing away from the outer ends.

Once the end of grot was found the bottom portion of the double skinned boot floor edge got repaired, still quite a space to be filling up!
CIMG0324.JPG
A patch was made up to fill in the missing boot floor with the square holes for the bumper mount plus a few holes to allow plug welds to the lower section
CIMG0326.JPG
All welded in and a good base now to build everything off
CIMG0327.JPG
The chassis rail underneath got a small repair to make good a grotty bit then an outrigger got made up, would have been a lot easier to make in sections but neater results to be had by spending a little time.
CIMG0333.JPG
This part helps to create strength in the floor corner and when the central arch is repaired back to it should make a solid base to fit the outer arch panel too, as well as a bumper mount
CIMG0334.JPG
CIMG0335.JPG
About it for today, all etched now to stop it rusting before next weeks visit, which at this time of year. Must say though I'm happy that the repairs are finally getting going, this is almost the last big job welding wise :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Alfamet

Post by Alfamet »

Kev; good job chap. Keep it going! ;)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Cheers Col, seeing all the other cars like yours getting done keeps me motivated :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Your be driving to Italy in no time now kev :D