My new project, finally got my integrale.

Kegsti66

Re: My new project, finally got my integrale.

Post by Kegsti66 »

Another mammoth amount of work done there mate.
Looking good. Shame the secondhand wings were a disappointment. :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Been a while since I bought the wings mate, can't recall if I knew one was bent!

To be honest I spent 2 days messing around at them mate, not full on days, easily distracted by stuff like Terry showing me his VW campervan :evil: but I didn't mind, he was asking why it kept bottoming out, assumed it was all original. Then I pointed out where the front beam had been cut to lower it! He's a good fella though, in his 70's and still going at it with his own unit despite having some serious illnesses in the last few years. Every day is a bonus he says, why not spend it under cars! :lol:
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sort of a wasted afternoon :(

Went up with the intentions of sorting out the little bit in one corner of the rear roof, once the hatch was off it became clear the rot had got in further than I thought, or more accurately I guess further than I hoped!

The section that led back under the roof had rust pretty much all along..

IMG_20180816_123224.jpg

Bit of grinding back and the fresh air started to be let in

IMG_20180816_141237.jpg
Before I chopped any more out I set about making a repair panel as it curves in 2 directions, not a straight edge to be seen. It needed to follow the downward curvature towards the roof sides but it also curves forward at each corner. Just to add complication the lower edge has to follow the hatch line. With the hatch on you can't get at it, with the hatch off you have to use your imagination!

Started off with a straight folded angled piece, the fold needed opening out as it wasn't a 90deg fold needed, more like 60 deg.
Then it's just shrinking and stretching to create the curves in both directions.

IMG_20180816_152218.jpg

Once those 2 curves were right the lower fold was marked out and an age spent folding it in the jenny wheel, being a now curved piece itself you couldn't put it in a straight folder...

After spending a couple of hours making this piece it became apparent that it wasn't good enough to use, the lower fold where it will need to follow the hatch just wasn't correct, I'd not allowed for the hatch being straighter than the roof skin :( :(

Slightly cheesed off I took stock and stepped back before throwing a fit.
Time to start again and acces the situation.

The repair piece got set to one side, put on the naughty step.

I attacked the rest of the roof section where it folded back under the roof. Eventually I found solid material but some reconstruction will be needed. There is a flaw in the design as far as I'm concerened. The top edge of the hatch has a rubber strip attached to it fills in the gap between the roof and hatch. When the hatch is raised this strip rubs along the roof edge, and rubs all the way back down when closing the hatch. Over time this rubs the paint off! I guess it would have been put there to cut down wind noise as it's right above the rear seat passengers heads, it only goes to the hinges so not for water management, it also traps all the leaves and crud to add to the fun! It won't be going back in.

A plan of action was devised including finally getting my new spot welder out of the box, the one I bought about a year ago!

Rather than start working at gone 6 (not that unusual for me) I had some sense to call it a day and knock off early.
On the drive home I've got a good plan sorted in my head on how to tackle it so that will have to wait until next week.
Back to work next week but off to Cadwell tomorrow and Saturday for some BSB action, the integrale will have to wait a bit longer :)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I admire your perseverance Kev.
I know the more accurate the metalwork the better, but sometimes, you need to accept you can use a bit of filler and primer to shape things up if the steel work is a bit wonky.
Power on mate, you're un faze-able .

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I hear you mate.
I am guilty of spending too long looking and worrying about stuff rather than getting on and doing it and adapting as I go along, there's always filler to get things straight!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Just about got the rear roof sorted this afternoon.

Was giving me some grief trying to get anywhere near the correct shape as it dives in certain ways but is straight in others, keeping the rear edge somewhere near the correct thickness too along with the curvature of the roof....royal PITA :twisted:

A return section needed welding to the roof opening first, about time I got the spot welder out I bought ages ago!

IMG_20180822_205932.jpg

Rear section then welded in, passenger side rust had crept along the roof skin so that needed a deeper patch.

IMG_20180822_205522.jpg
IMG_20180822_205531.jpg
Will need a bit more shaping but at least the rot is now out and a solid base to work from.

Rear hatch I've stripped down so of course there's more welding to be done...
IMG_20180822_210921.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Rear roof has come out great Kev.
Sound as a pound. :D

junior

Post by junior »

Good effort Kev.

Keep going. You will be driving it before toooooo long! :D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Plan is for it to be on the road next year so I can at least go to the LMC AGM in it...

Not a lot done this afternoon, but still ticking along.

The front edge of the roof where the windscreen seal goes had some pitting but nothing too bad.
Once the rusty bits were dug out the simplest way was to thicken the metal up by welding onto it rather than cut it out and let in new steel, the inside face was perfect so the rust was only on the outside.

Ground back it all came out OK.

IMG_20180825_165719.jpg
IMG_20180825_165732.jpg
Still gave it all a coat of rust treatment to be sure then primed it.

The inner faces of the wings were then cleaned up, a few small dents dollied out and then a decent layer of stoneguard applied.

IMG_20180825_183506.jpg
IMG_20180825_184501.jpg

Next time I'll start prepping the underbonnet bits then finally the bodywork proper can start. Aim is to have the bodyshell painted fairly soon then the doors, bonnet etc done so it's all in red before too long...
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

junior

Post by junior »

Are you tempted to go the whole hog and do it in the martini colour scheme ? :D I would be. :lol:

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Not tempted enough to do anything other than paint it the red, as that's been my dream car for so many years.

I do like the other colours, even like the subtle Martini stripes that were on the Martini6 Evo cars. But red it will be
Attachments
vendo-lancia-delta-martini-6_2.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

red with the blue martini stripes :D

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

and graphite wheels

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Getting to do some nice bits now, refurbishing some parts so they are ready to fit when the time comes rather than just seeming to go backwards.

I'd gathered up a few cast parts like the hubs ready to take to the shot blasters but then I thought about a technique that Terry down the units sometimes uses to get rid of rust, heat! First saw him doing it on a Morris Minor floorpan...seems logical when you think about it, when we use the Oxy/Acet to chop off exhausts the rust flakes off...

So with gentle heat (I mean a gentle heat, nowhere near getting anything red hot or such like) from the Oxy bottles the rust shits and flakes off which leaves a quick wire brush to clean any loose bits and it's ready for paint. I'd imagine a little gas blowlamp would easily do the job.

This is the front calipers which were both equally flaky.

IMG_20180829_104128.jpg
Hubs were particularly corroded, much like something left in the sea!

IMG_20180831_171203.jpg
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

When all the heating and cleaning had been done I fitted new wheel bearings into all 4 hubs so they shouldn't have to come out again..

Couple of coats of Hammerite this afternoon and they should be good for a few years.

IMG_20180902_184411.jpg

It's tidying these bits up that encourages you to keep pressing on.

Back to the car soon to start the paint prep, a bit of straightening and filling to do but at least it will be in red this year.

Plan is to paint the parts in stages now I'm back in the original little unit.

Shell will be done first with 2 of the doors and the sunroof panel.

They will then vacate for the bonnet, hatch, front wings and other 2 doors to be done.

Plastics will be last, bumpers, various vents and mirrors etc.

This will allow me to have the space to get around everything with minimal risk of disaster!

With a bit of luck it'll all be in paint before too long, certainly before the year is out....
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Did you prime the parts first or not bother? Thinking about doing my Mito calipers.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

KevJTD wrote: Couple of coats of Hammerite this afternoon and they should be good for a few years.

It's tidying these bits up that encourages you to keep pressing on.
Too right mate.
Cracking on well and getting the "bits" moved along is a positive boost.
Good stuff. :D

NEG

Post by NEG »

Fascinating seeing this slowly come together. Great skill.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Sud 145 wrote:Did you prime the parts first or not bother? Thinking about doing my Mito calipers.
The Hammerite is direct to metal on cast/mild etc, only needs a primer on aluminium.
Guy Croft uses it on his race engine blocks so that's good enough for me ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Wow your getting on with it. paint soon. Brilliant progress kev :shock: