Classic Alfa race cars

Gary Orchard

Classic Alfa race cars

Post by Gary Orchard »

http://alfaracer.com/friday-fix-issue-50/

I don't know how many of you follow this site but for those who do not then visit the website above

Lots of great picture of old Sud/33 race cars and drivers (and other alfas as well)

Enjoy !

KevJTD

Re: Classic Alfa race cars

Post by KevJTD »

some mega pictures there gary, particularly liked the one of the BLS 33 racer....sure they are still the same overalls tom uses :D

some real gems there.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

Does anyone remember this..1988!

Dave
Attachments
fatties.jpg

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Not so much the GTV but I seem to remember the Junior Zagato racing at Cadwell in the eighties. Sure I have a photo or two of it somewhere.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940)

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

I didn't get into the AROC racing as a spectator until 1996, started racing 2000.

Never saw the zagato in action.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

NUALFAMAN wrote:Not so much the GTV but I seem to remember the Junior Zagato racing at Cadwell in the eighties. Sure I have a photo or two of it somewhere.
Know we had some good days up at Cadwell watching the racing, sometimes with bad heads after Saturday nights out, but I can't remember seeing the Zagato. Mind you, I can't remember much at all nowadays!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Here we go photo of photos. Definitely at Cadwell. You got me doubting myself especially when you mentioned the bad head scenarios as I remember plenty of those.
I actually saw a Junior Zagato in Central London the other week, loudest car on the road. Too quick of the mark to get a photo though. Worth a Bob or two nowadays I believe.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Alfatwo/Dave,
That was outside Alfetta Racing Centre wasn't it - based around Hammersmith/Chiswick, West London. I remember Piero Pesaro inviting me down there for a look around in probably 1987 when Rob Giordienelli raced the Zagato and Piero raced the GTV6. Piero took over the Zagato for 1990 and ran it for a while but not quite as successfully as Rob - still a great car though.
I might be wrong when I say that I think the cars were owned by a chap called Peter Crutch and he had quite a few rare Alfas - the Zagato had lots of GTam kit on it. In Alfetta Racing they had loads of 60's and 70's racing Alfas from Autodelta. I just remember standing there in awe of all the stuff I had only seen in magazines and books.
I have some photos of the car as it currently is (and was offered to me) by the present owner which are very sad to see. Maybe people might like to read the link to the Zagato website that shows the history of the car in full and of the sorry state that it is now in. Surely someone should save it..........?
http://www.zagato-cars.com/contents/en- ... 00862.html
Cheers all, Ted

Ted27sud

Post by Ted27sud »

Nualfaman, your photos are definitely Cadwell and taken in March 1990 as I remember it was the first race of the year and was on the short circuit using a hairpin at the bottom of the mountain.
It was my first race in my green racing Sud after it had been re-prepared by Tom at BLS.
Happy days! Cheers,
Ted

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

NUALFAMAN wrote:
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Here we go photo of photos. Definitely at Cadwell. You got me doubting myself especially when you mentioned the bad head scenarios as I remember plenty of those.
I actually saw a Junior Zagato in Central London the other week, loudest car on the road. Too quick of the mark to get a photo though. Worth a Bob or two nowadays I believe.
Well there you go!
Club circuit of course, which doesn't really get used much nowadays, if at all?
Used to be some exciting action at that hairpin, Honda CRX one make racing used to be a good series and the Ford sponsored P100 pick up championship (yes, really!) was entertaining if not exactly setting lap records!

1990 though? We were rallying that year weren't we?
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Ted27sud wrote: I have some photos of the car as it currently is (and was offered to me) by the present owner which are very sad to see. Maybe people might like to read the link to the Zagato website that shows the history of the car in full and of the sorry state that it is now in. Surely someone should save it..........?
http://www.zagato-cars.com/contents/en- ... 00862.html
Cheers all, Ted

What a sad end Ted.
Hope it does get restored. Personally, I like the 1978 rounded arch look in black (or dark blue?) with the red nose band and proper light/grille set up.
Then it still looks like a proper car as opposed to later when it could have almost been just a space frame styled in the form of a Zagato. :geek:

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Now I have to go in to the attic to find my old RAC msa license to find out the years we rallied, give me a couple of moments.
But honestly I thought it was the late eighties but could be wrong, thought I did well remembering the JZ.
And yes those one model races were cracking.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Just scrolled through your link Ted. What a shame the car has ended up in that way. But looking at the number and the graphics on the link, it does look like it was in the 1990 livery in my photo, so I guess even if we were rallying that year Kev it didn't stop us going to the Alfas at Cadwell. After all it was a bit of a pilgrimage.
I will still look out for the licences though.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

DSC_0024.JPG
90 and 91 Kev, Trackatak contender.
Whilst I was looking I found this photo,
IMG_20180412_202632078.jpg
Competed in the British touring car championship before the all conquering 155s anyone remember it and who drove it?
For some reason it's the only photo that I have of it.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

That was a 75 wasn't it? Do actually vaguely remember that one!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

At least one if not two of those John west sponsered 75s are here in Suffolk in fact they maybe coming to our workshop very soon :D if so I will post lots of pics!

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

In the meantime some of you may find this interesting not sure on the full history of the car but it was factory built I believe for the world touring car series
Attachments
20180327_121211.jpg
20180328_132210.jpg

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Is that the turbo 75 owned by the same person that has the original BSCC Napolina Sud, Chris Whelan ?

The Salmon 75's are in a link I posted in the race car section

http://alfaracer.com/friday-fix-issue-65/

I think I also saw a post either on pistonheads or tentenths were someone was trying to track down the GTV6 Salmon car, the son of the builder I think.

loads of pics please if / when they turn up.

Rew147

Post by Rew147 »

Yes I think it is, We kind of worked through a middle man on this one but the owner was definitely Chris somebody?? The car had been rolled and someone had done the panel work previous to us getting the car and completing the paint work which was somewhat tricky as we had to keep it as original as possible

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Just read through the link, very interesting and amazing to see the Salmon cars being restored.
I do enjoy finding out about old iconic cars, where they are and how they have ended up, even better to see them restored.
Being a 33 S3 owner, I remember a pretty much std 33 1.7 16v competing in the British production car championship, saw it only the once at Silverstone in the early 90s. Again if I look it out I am sure I have a photo, and yes just the one as it was before the digital era. Anyone else remember it?
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)

alfatwo

Post by alfatwo »

NUALFAMAN wrote:Just read through the link, very interesting and amazing to see the Salmon cars being restored.
I do enjoy finding out about old iconic cars, where they are and how they have ended up, even better to see them restored.
Being a 33 S3 owner, I remember a pretty much std 33 1.7 16v competing in the British production car championship, saw it only the once at Silverstone in the early 90s. Again if I look it out I am sure I have a photo, and yes just the one as it was before the digital era. Anyone else remember it?

Anyone remember this
Attachments
racing pic.jpg

BS25

Post by BS25 »

NUALFAMAN wrote:Just read through the link, very interesting and amazing to see the Salmon cars being restored.
Yes, this car was the S3 33 16v prepared by BLS that won the AROC Class C Championship - it was the first time a 16v was allowed into the series in that class so was only allowed to run with a re-mapped standard engine. Even so, it was quick enough to win the class that year (93). It was owned by Andy Curtis who had previously raced in Class F. We still see Andy - he is Manager of Performance Driving at Aston Martin. Andy sold it to Terry Stacey who had previously raced a fully modified 33 in Class B. It was Terry that ran it in the Production Car series - it ran well but like all 33 in production series, it was a 1.7 in a 2.0 class - so didn't have the power and torque of the Astra GTE's, etc. After that it went back into club series and sporadic use.

Alfatwo/Dave - yes I remember your GT Junior - I think you'd stopped racing by the time I started in 1993? Have you still got the Arna road car?

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Is that Andy Curtis 33 the red/white left hand drive one ? if so didn't that become (and is) Adie Hawkins current car, ex Italian Touring Car series ?

BS25

Post by BS25 »

Nope, entirely different car. We went over to Italy and viewed the 33 16v that Andy bought and the 75 Turbo that Graham bought - both bought from Technica Racing (Drovandi) in Spring 1994. Andy's previous 33 (mentioned above) was a road car prior to becoming a Class C car. The concession to allowing a 16v into Class C was no modification to any engine components - so 33 16v running later in Class F were much more modified! Andy's 16v ex-ITCC car was used by him for a few years, sold to Dave Streather, then to Simon Griffiths before it went to Adie. Plenty of stories about the 33 and 75's as they arrived - ex-ITCC but nowhere near the scrutineering levels of UK club racing! The trip to view the cars was good too - a contact of Graham's knew the Alfa Corse racer Giorgio Francia and we got a guided tour of Alfa Corse - at the time they were doing rather well in DTM with the 155 V6's so there was plenty to see!