Alfa Race cars 92-2002

garygecko

Alfa Race cars 92-2002

Post by garygecko »

Hi,

After lurking here a while, I thought I would post some pics of the cars I drove between 92 and 2002. Highlights for me would be Autoitalia Class B champion in 2000. A class win in the Britcar Willhire race at Snetterton. Just finishing the Nurburgring 24hrs felt like a win, and pretending I was Tarquini in that 155. I am planning a return to modified Alfasud racing and will post up some pics as the project gets going!
sud.jpg
sud2.jpg
156.jpg
NurbAlfa3.jpg
Attachments
155.jpg

Alfasixnut

Re: Alfa Race cars 92-2002

Post by Alfasixnut »

Nice collection of racing Alfas - and good pics!
Looking forward to reading more of your new project Gary - Glad that you have joined this forum.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Nice selection of cars there 8-) look forward to the next one :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Hello Gary

Do you remember that old white and yellow class f sud?

I bought it off you for £700 in early 2000 to start racing. I still have the shell sat in storage, I changed it to white and green .

Did you move to Australia, and What happened to the Tarquini car ?

Look forward to seeing your sud plans, where will you racing it?

Cheers Tim

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Ha ha......just looked at the auto Italia picture, and saw that nutcase in the Maserati . Classic more money than sense/ability , it finished every race with panels bent or hanging off.

Great race series at the time though.

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

Hi Tim,

Yes I remember you and your dad coming to buy the sud (it was an ex Frank Manning car) 700 quid seems like a bargain now! I loved the way you and your dad polished that turd and had fun in it. I never would have though it could have looked so good. I would love to see a pic? I am happy to hear it is still alive. When I was looking for a sud recently, it would have been great if it would have come full circle back to me. But I now have a donor car:( (But I bought it unseen so it may turn out to be a pile of rust and I will be in touch to see if its for sale!)

I cant have a bad word said about Stuart Barrington-Hall:) It takes a brave man to take 400 bhp Maserati worth tens of thousands of pounds out onto the track. Even if he did cut across me at Snetterton. I am guessing his repair bill was higher than mine. He was never scared to take a dent (Which he did very often) I guess he was pretty rich. He was a nice guy and offered me a drive in the Maserati, I turned it down suspecting that if I pranged it ( Which seemed the norm) I couldn't afford to fix it.

I am in Australia.

Are you still racing? It would be nice to hear what you are up to.

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

Take a look at these links Gary.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=476

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=56

I'll be racing the Sprint again this year. Another piece of history as I'm certain it was raced by Tony Soper way back.

That Sud was a great little car for the money, even on the back of the grid we had a good time. I remember getting my first Alfasud Cup trophy at Lydden Hill......I was the only Sud that finished! :lol:

Stuart Barrington-Hall, I couldn't remember his name. :D I have to agree very brave to race the Maserati. There were a few interesting cars and owners, another Maserati Barchetta driven by Drummond Bone (yep, that's his real name), a bubble arch fiat 128 driven by Giovanni DeGennaro, a couple of Ferarris .....all following Neil Smith in his Uno. :D

I think your modified Sud is in this link previous to you owning it ?

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=147

garygecko

Post by garygecko »

The sprint looks great and it was nice to see the old girl again and I think its fantastic that you still have it. What do you plan to do with it?

Yeah, I remember Drummond Base, that Barchetta was awesome when he wound it up. It was capable of 190mph if memory serves me right. The Autoitalia series was good that year. The variety of cars and the reverse grid made it great fun. The prize fund was pretty good as well. Shame it isn't running anymore.