Sprint 6C

Alfasixnut

Sprint 6C

Post by Alfasixnut »

At the risk of causing trouble I thought that my version of the Sprint 6C (details elsewhere on AO thread but essentially a 3 litre 164 front end in the back of a "Rusty Sprint for spares") deserved its own thread rather than as part of my 8V thread.
So this starts in 2016 when I hope to have finally cured my cooling problems. I have previously checked the water pump, installed an extra expansion bottle in the engine bay, had the radiator re-cored and now replaced the front expansion bottle.
Here is a picture of the bottom of the tank showing the two strengthening internal columns - the left hand one has a crack right in the middle of the tank where the two halves are joined!

Kegsti66

Re: Sprint 6C

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Philip, is the cooling sorted now that you have discovered this fault and replaced the tank.?

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Kegsti66 wrote:Hi Philip, is the cooling sorted now that you have discovered this fault and replaced the tank.?
Hi
I have only just swapped the expansion tank so have yet to test the car out........

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

New expansion tank fitted, No leaks...... so it is insured, MoTd and taxed!
Out to Vesuvios (A6 North of Bedford) on Sunday for their Breakfast Meet - hopefully in the bright sunshine??

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

good luck with the ride out phil, up here the weather looks like being a bit damp...hope the cooling system doesn't need it to be damp and you get sunshine ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Well the sunshine was bright, the 6C behaved, the breakfast was good, the venue was packed, the Lamborghinis and Ferraris were loud! Thanks Ciro and Sharnbrook Hotel.

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Just as an end to this thread, my part time job finished and so I had to clear my collection of cars/parts and tools from my big hanger.
Sadly I took the decision to sell the 6C and after a series of adverts/auctions/buyers, nearly buyers and fantastists it was finally trailered to a buyer in London in September 2016.

There is now an "Unofficial" Sprint 6C website which has many of the pictures of the Autodelta built prototypes. There were two versions but only one has been seen for many years at the Alfa Museo Storico. Indeed it was thought that the first car (possibly non working) may have been used to make the second.
However the first car has now been found and photographed in deep and dusty storage in the museum. There are several period articles about the 6C also on the website.

Looking at the pictures, the first car used a basically standard bodyshell, but I suspect it was a difficult job to get the engine/transaxle unit down through the hatchback opening. The second car had the larger opening with the hinges closer to the top of the "B" pillars. I suspect the front suspension/structure was also more modified, possibly to take a future 4WD development?
These changes would have made the 200 homologation units even more expensive - at a time when the Company was effectively bankrupt, so it was all cancelled.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

An end of an era chap :(