My series 2

Series 2 Missionary

My series 2

Post by Series 2 Missionary »

Thought it was time I finally posted my car on here, I promised Kev I would way back at MITCAR last year.

It's a series 2 Ti, registered 13/08/80. Completely standard though it did have a colour change back in 2005. I bought it in 2004 as I'd always fancied a series 2 ti to use as a daily driver and I was lucky to find such a good original car with only 27000 on the clock. I used it for the best part of a year and put 6000 miles on it, before buying a more modern car and having it stripped/repainted in yallow pazouli in 2005. I did this because my old man had a 1980 1.5 Super in this colour when I was a very young boy, I never forgot it and always wanted one in this colour. It was originally dark blue. I've never regretted it, its something I wanted to do and it is an original Sud Ti colour from the 1980 series 2 model year. The car's holding up pretty well as I very rarely drive it in the wet now and it has lived in a carcoon for the last few years. Its now done 41000 miles. It's been in quite a few magazine articles which some of you might even have seen.

I'm a champion of the series 2 as you can see from my user name, I think its because they represent my first memory of 'suds on sale' when I was trekking round the showrooms in 79/80. I also think they're a good compromise between purity of design/bit more power. It's just a personal thing, I love them all and do know an early series 1 is the most desirable and a late series 3 the fastest. I know of few series 2s, there's a really nice black one down south, a gorgeous brown W plate owned by a John Russell I think that I've not seen since 2007. I also know of one other yellow s2 with about 13k on the clock but I've never seen it myself. I can see some of you are doing some amazing things with some early Tis, (Colin, Kev and Richard to name 3) -can't wait to see them all at MITCAR this year. I wish I could so half of what you lot can, basically I just drive mine, polish it, avoid water and get it serviced once a year!

The only other boxer I've owned is a 33 1.7 Cloverleaf Veloce series 2 8 Valve 1.7 for a few months in 2010. Very fast but no brakes- F500 THG. Anyway here's a couple of photos of the series 2. Thanks, Miles
Attachments
098.JPG
098.JPG

Series 2 Missionary

Re: My series 2

Here's another pic, you don't need 2 of the same one cheers
Attachments
001.JPG

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

That's a cracking Sud , I'm glad I've seen it in the flesh too. Love the colour with the black trim works for sure 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Gary Orchard

Post by Gary Orchard »

Great to see you on here now Miles

I did not know about the colour change on your car - whoever painted it did a cracking job !!

Hope to see you at MITCAR - so long as it does not clash with family holiday

Series 2 Missionary

Thanks John and Gary,

Hope so Gary, want to see that TI X this year!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Nice to see you've joined us Miles, thatnks very much for that. I don't mind it took a while....... :)

Yours is one of the nicest Suds I've seen and anyone that's seen it will no doubt agree, a really nice example. I fell for it when we had the weekend at Colins picture session at Beaulieu, when that book comes out there will be some great snaps from that day.....eh Colin ;)

MITCAR promises to be a fantastic Sud event...when we finally get the word on the date. Still waiting on that one so sorry to all who are planning, or trying to plan, Holidays.
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Miles, looking forward to meeting up at Mitcar , we met NAD 2011 in the rain, you followed me into the event.
I hadn't got my car finished at that point so I was in my 156.
I got her back on the road in 2013. This year she will be 40 !!
Regards Keith.
Attachments
17.07.2011Helen's camera 371.jpg
17.07.2011Helen's camera 373.jpg

Series 2 Missionary

Thanks Kev you are very kind, yes hopefully will be a really good turnout of 'Suds, I remember Sheffield 07, Ripon 09 -best turnouts I can ever remember.

Keith yes I remember meeting you in 2011 at Reading. I went onto Beaulieu after that for the book shoot the next day, I remember the bloody awful rain I think the poor 'sud got pretty much a constant soaking for 3 bloody days. I remember thinking I'm not ever getting it that wet again. I must say your orange series 1 is sensational and though I'm new on here I get the impression what you've done to it is pretty amazing. I saw it at The National 2014 (I came in the Mito) and you were parked next to that nice black 1350. I hung around for ages trying to speak to you but you were being proper monopolised by some other enthusiast so I eventually gave up and looked for the beer tent... :D

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi Miles, sorry we never got to chat that day. A second black Sud joined later, they were almost identical to look at.
I did a thread of my build on "the other side" before I joined CAF if you go on there it is titled Saving '75 ti. I was encouraged to do it by Colin after I followed his white resto. It should give you access to my "photobucket".
What is the book you were all talking about? Has it been printed?
I try to not get my car wet, it happens, but I don't like it.
Regards
Keith

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Very nice and such a cheerful colour too - same as my first Sud :-)
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Series 2 Missionary wrote: I saw it at The National 2014 (I came in the Mito) and you were parked next to that nice black 1350. I hung around for ages trying to speak to you but you were being proper monopolised by some other enthusiast so I eventually gave up and looked for the beer tent... :D

I knew I had a picture of the two together somewhere. Both cars were really nice, original looking cars. 8-)
Attachments
SL373711.JPG

Series 2 Missionary

Yeah those 2 black 'suds look bonny together alright.

The book was something Colin Metcalfe was writing back in 2011, from what I can gather he did a lot of work on it.

His idea was to get good examples of Series 1, 2 and 3 ti's together with a Sprint Veloce for a photoshoot at Buleigh Motor museum, showing the development of the marque over the years. The cars present were Jon Trinder's legendary red S1, my yellow S2, Kev Ploughman's restored Green Cloverleaf and Gary Orchard's gorgeous Sprint. No 4 doors were present which to me was a bit of an oversight but that's only my opinion. I do love a nice 5M or Super! With everyone going for the Ti's they're obviously now very rare as well.

Anyway the photoshoot came and went and a nice lady from the publisher spent the day with us but unfortunately no book yet. I think Colin has been frustrated by printing and publishing delays and I think he's sick of me asking him about it, eh Col?. Hopefully it will come out soon and if it does I'm sure it will be worth waiting for as Mr Metcalfe is obviously a master of his subject.

I could upload a load of photos from the shoot but I better not as I may find myself in trouble with Colin and the publisher! . The main reason I want the book to come out is because with it tying in with NAD Reading 2011 I got the car soaking bloody wet for a full 3 bloody days, so I want it to have been worth it!

Series 2 Missionary

Beaulieu...!

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Sorry for a late reply, but I know what you mean about the four door saloon. They are just as important.
There is a real beautiful S3 Gold Clover for sale at the moment on a classic site. I contacted the guy to tell him to post a link on here. The car is in Ireland and must be about the best example you could ever hope to find.
My first car was a S1 5m, same Orange as my ti with blue vinyl trim.

Series 2 Missionary

Hi again Keith

just spoke to Colin from Durham regarding some parts you thought I may be able to give to him from Spring Alfa Day. I've decided against coming, I wasn't going to take the 'sud anyway. I did fancy it, partly to see your car which I've only seen once, partly to see Kev's (which isn't going to be ready) and also because I'd hoped to see some others suds I've not seen before. It is a 300 mile round trip for me though and I've been put off with the Alfa club wanting 30 quid from me and the missus to go. It's just the principle to be honest, I think that's a joke to enter a car show, especially if you're taking a car-they should be paying you!. There is no show without punch after all. This may or may not be a popular viewpoint but I think the Alfa Club has issues, I'm in and out of membership but they seem to always be bloody bickering between themselves, ludicrously political for what is meant to be a fun hobby and always expensive to show your own car. I was in the Imp Club for years, (sold a mint Sunbeam Stiletto when I bought the Sud, mistake that, not buying the sud but selling the Imp)-now that is a good club.

You're story with the orange 5M and orange Ti has a bit of a parallel to mine, I remember talking to you about it at NAD 2011. You had a series 1 4 dr in bright orange in your youth so hankered after a S1 ti in the same colour. With me I always remembered dad's bright yellow V plate series 2 1.5 4 door so always hankered after an S2 Ti in the same colour. The appropriate car sourced, some paint and the dream becomes a reality. In your case a lot of hard work and restoration too. Will be at the national in the Sud (weather permitting) and at MITCAR even if it is bloody raining.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

I know what you mean Miles about the owners club and their politics. I think a lot of the followers on here share the same view.
Shame you are not coming to Duxford, but I understand. This country of ours is not easy to travel through.
I may try and get up to NAD, maybe stay over somewhere as that will be a big trek for me to get up to. It would be nice to see some different members and their cars but the entry prices do add up. MITCAR allow two entries per car and it is a tenner !!
I only suggested to Col about the bits on the off chance as I knew you were talking about coming down. I didn't know how far away you were from each other, quite a bit I understand, but I will sort something out with him.
I need to get cleaning the old girl up this weekend as SAD isn't far away now :o
Catch up with you soon.
Regard
Keith.

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

in defence of AROC, the entry fee to spring alfa day gets you into the grounds of duxford aerodrome at a decent discounted rate for the regular visitors but agree that travel distance and time etc make a big consideration on where to go. i too wouldn't contemplate a 300 mile round trip so can't fault your decision mate, i'd do the same.
save the big ride out for MITCAR ;)

promise i will be there.....with the sud 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Series 2 Missionary

Cheers lads have a good day at Duxford, I'll have to be content with the pics you upload. Sounds like Colin is serious about bringing his three cracking Series 1 and 2 Ti's down to MITCAR so that's shaping up to be a good 'un.