Project Alfa Romeo 33 1.3vl

FlyingDutchman

Project Alfa Romeo 33 1.3vl

Post by FlyingDutchman »

Hello everyone,

I'm 19 years old and two years ago, after a very long search, I bought my Alfa 33. It has been imported to The Netherlands in may 2016 from Milan, Italy.
When it came to the Netherlands it only had 2 previous owners in Italy, wich makes me the 4th as I'm not the one who imported it. The car came to Holland with just over 38000km's on the clock, and when I bought it, it was only just at 45000km's.
The 1.3VL is very uncommon where I'm from.
It may be a Veloce Lusso, but it's still a really blank canvas, because besides the standard "luxuries", they didn't really bother adding any options at all.

I have a lot of plans for this car, and I will be updating this thread as I go along. Love reading and looking at some of the projects here, they are really inspiring.
Spec list:
- 1.3L
- 8 valve
- Twin double Dellorto DRLA40's
- 90HP
- 1991 (type 907A, but with 4 lug strut tops)
- ~50000 KM

Thanks for the tip to join the forum Shrew ;) :D

- FlyingDutchman

Last edited by FlyingDutchman on Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LooLooSud33Spider

Re: Introduction Alfa Romeo 33 1.3vl

Post by LooLooSud33Spider »

Hi FD.
Welcome to the forum and great choice of car :D If you have any questions This forum has some of the most knowledgeable people from around the world on all classic Alfa’s.
Which means someone should be able to help.

Lou.
Alfasud Ti 1984
Alfa Spider 2.0 Ts 916
Alfa Spider 20v Turbo

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Hi FD,
Welcome to the club.
As Lou says, there is a helpful group here who share the love of these cars.
Look forward to seeing your plans and great to know there are a younger generation of fans out there.
Keith.

alfadave

Post by alfadave »

I think there was a 33 Veloce
But maybe the Lusso name came in later models?

What year is your car, and is it carb or injection?

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

alfadave wrote:I think there was a 33 Veloce
But maybe the Lusso name came in later models?

What year is your car, and is it carb or injection?
It is a 1.3 liter 8valve, with twin double Dellorto carbs (drla40's). It's a 1991. I will add this information to the post :D
This is a Lusso AND a Veloce, they have been made seperate as well, but this one packs the peppy engine of a Veloce and standard powersteering, central locking, electric windows in the front and a 2-part folding rearseat (not standard on normal 1.3's). They didn't bother with adding a radio (who needs that with such a great sounding engine), rightside mirror, foglights, wheels, or any painted trim. It's as barebones as you can get this version, but that's fine. It's not a daily and I like the quirkiness of those missing features.

- FD
Last edited by FlyingDutchman on Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

LooLooSud33Spider wrote:Hi FD.
Welcome to the forum and great choice of car :D If you have any questions This forum has some of the most knowledgeable people from around the world on all classic Alfa’s.
Which means someone should be able to help.

Lou.
Thanks! I was really suprised that I didn't find this forum earlier on, I'm really digging it so far :lol:

- FD

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

Kegsti66 wrote:Hi FD,
Welcome to the club.
As Lou says, there is a helpful group here who share the love of these cars.
Look forward to seeing your plans and great to know there are a younger generation of fans out there.
Keith.
Thank you! Yes, they are out there but I find that a lot of people around my age have different priorities than cars. I do have a lot of friends that are into cars, but they are not especially into Alfa's. I have been a fan since I opened my eyes for the first time.
My first car was an Alfa 75 1.6IE when I was 16 y.o. It had been in a shed for 15 years and it had never been started or moved in all that time. I got it to run together with my uncle, but it needed a rebuild, and I didn't have the knowledge/tools to do it my self, and neither had the money to get someone to do it for me. So I sold that car and started saving up more money for a better car.
5 cars later (not Alfa's but including 2 Fiat seicento sporting abarth's 8-) ) I bought this Alfa 33. It was a big search and I had a look at almost every 33 available in The Netherlands before I bought this one (I think it was about 16 cars in a one year search :oops: ). This one won't be going anytime soon, I daily a "new" Fiat 500 1.4 16v sport.

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Clearly bitten by the Italian bug, nice one!!

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Really interesting to see the different models that were sold in differing countries, and also the similarities in how people become Alfa fans.
My mate Paul had the first Alfa amongst our little group, that car was driven everywhere, not always where cars were supposed to go either, but recovery trucks can pull cars out of ditches :lol:
I later on got a Delta 1.5 and the rest is history, can count on one hand the non Italian cars I've had.

Glad you found us and looking forward to hearing, and seeing more about the car and your plans 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

Kegsti66 wrote:Clearly bitten by the Italian bug, nice one!!
You can definitely say that again :P

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

KevJTD wrote:Really interesting to see the different models that were sold in differing countries, and also the similarities in how people become Alfa fans.
My mate Paul had the first Alfa amongst our little group, that car was driven everywhere, not always where cars were supposed to go either, but recovery trucks can pull cars out of ditches :lol:
I later on got a Delta 1.5 and the rest is history, can count on one hand the non Italian cars I've had.

Glad you found us and looking forward to hearing, and seeing more about the car and your plans 8-)
I sure don't hope I will get to know the towtruck driver too well :lol:
I've always loved Alfa's, my uncle always had them and he carried it over to me I guess. I still have vivid memories of driving along in his gtv6 when I was about 2 years old, the sound, the smell and feeling of the by the sun overheated seats... I think that's the exact moment I fell in love with Alfa Romeo.
I really loved my seicento abarth's as well, quirky little things with a lot of Italian temperemant (and issues... :? )

NUALFAMAN

Post by NUALFAMAN »

Hi FD great to see another 33 907 on the forum.
As Kev has kindly pointed out I owned a 905 33 when I was not much older than yourself (somany years to ago) as a daily driver and it literally went everywhere, and yes including upside down in a ditch, but it lived to tell the tale.
Anyways having stripped and rebuilt my current 33 907, there is a thread on here, I will be watching your thread with interest and as the others point out the help on here is great so don't worry about asking questions as trivial as you may think they are. Helped me a treat.
Oh and enjoy driving the 33, they're a great little Alfa.
Alfa Romeo 33 (907)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (940)

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman »

NUALFAMAN wrote:Hi FD great to see another 33 907 on the forum.
As Kev has kindly pointed out I owned a 905 33 when I was not much older than yourself (somany years to ago) as a daily driver and it literally went everywhere, and yes including upside down in a ditch, but it lived to tell the tale.
Anyways having stripped and rebuilt my current 33 907, there is a thread on here, I will be watching your thread with interest and as the others point out the help on here is great so don't worry about asking questions as trivial as you may think they are. Helped me a treat.
Oh and enjoy driving the 33, they're a great little Alfa.
Hi Paul,
I really don't hope mine will ever end up in that situation :lol: . I have so many plans for this car. Including wheel adapters so I can fit original gtv6 alloys wich I have kicking around. This winter I will be changing the timing belt, clutch and do some standard maintenance. I would really love to have a set of coilovers but looking at the prices of the ones available, I might be better of building it myself.
Also I will be building my own exhaust for the car, the current setup is a stock exhaust with a straight pipe in the middle, so it's just the damper at the rear (because this one doesn't have a cat yet :mrgreen: ) but it's a bit too raspy for my liking and doesn't look that great.
I will have a look at your thread! I love watching all the projects on here, it's really inspiring.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi FD
Welcome to the madhouse
Looks like you've got a solid 33 8-) looking forward to seeing your build plans .good to read your hands on and can weld . Keep an eye on the sills and jacking points and boot floor.
Good luck