Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Johnboy

Re: 30 years of Alfas, well almost!

Post by Johnboy »

Kegsti66 wrote:They make good money as well.
I know a guy who bought a pile of parts, built a rat rod and when finished, another guy pestered him to sell it to him, so he did and it enabled him to buy a '69 Dodge Charger !!

What about a posh rat??
I'll happily take that kieth 8-) Ferris Bueller's big day off :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Did that one grey JB.
Good spot. :D

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Kegsti66 wrote:Did that one grey JB.
Good spot. :D
Nice .that car would be my second choice after an F40 8-) stunning car 8-) 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Looks like a few more Italian rat-look/restoration projects are coming up at King Lynn's Anglian Car Auctions classic sale in January - Ferrari 330 - very nice if you have a deep pocket, a Maserati 3500 GT in amongst the usual Jag E type fare. Also a good selection of Americana and a couple of interesting Alfas - might be worth a day out.

cheers

Ian
Alfa Mito 1.6JTDM-2 QV Line

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Looks like deep pockets were needed, the Ferrari 330 and the Maser went for big money despite their condition, but the 33 racer was very affordable. Details on the ACA website.

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Just coming up to 3 years of ownership for the Mito, and for the most part it has been trouble free and reliable. However, as the 3rd anniversary looms, it has started to develop some typical Alfa foibles!

First was the clunking steering, which turns out to be a common fault for all FCA models on this floor pan namely the front strut top bearings, which seize up - it reminded me of a similar problem on our Mk3 Alfasud, though I didn't have to change those as early as 27,000 miles!

Next up (today), I drop the drivers window to enjoy the warm weather, but when I come to raise it, there is a grinding noise and it only goes up a little, then drops. I eventually manage to raise the window fully in small steps - I have taped off the switch for now, and the window drop on opening is still working, but reading up it looks like the cables have begun to fail, so new regulator needed it seems. Ironically I have just had to replace the regulator on the Freelander rear door and the mechanism looks similar. I got one without motor which was much cheaper given the motor was fine. As the the Mito motor is working fine, I will try a motor less replacement for that too - anyone have a recommendation for a good supplier, there seems to be a range on the internet/eBay at a wide range of prices. Though I'm not keen on £180 for a genuine one even it it comes with motor!

Hopefully that will be enough foibles for now, though the Mrs mentioned the radio switched itself off the other day and took a number attempts to switch it on again..........

Hopefully sorting the regulator will be trouble free!

Cheers for now
Attachments
Mito QVline
Mito QVline

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Alfa Romeo Mito Page on FB is the go-to place. David Faithfull is the main man and a font of Knowledge. You will not be disappointed.

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Thanks for that, I'm part of the AROC Mito register so should have thought of that!!

Yesterday I took the door card off to have a look, You Tube is a helpful tool!

I couldn't see anything obvious, so carefully lowered the window, it was a little reluctant to go back up at first, but after a few runs, returned to normal, relatively smooth operation. I lubricated the guide runners for good measure, and then re-assembled the door card. I think it's ok for now, but will need careful watching. I at least I am familiar with the layout now, which is very similar to the Freelander. Ironically the Freelander drivers door regulator is sounding a little noisy now too! But after 225,000 miles, it's not surprising!

Cheers

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

Mito passed its first MOT, no problems today and to celebrate, on the way back it decided to snap the window regulator cable - so parts ordered and I'll be tinkering with that next weekend!

Bluesuit

Post by Bluesuit »

New genuine parts regulator arrived last week. After my earlier recce, it was straight forward to strip the door card, and following some helpful YouTube guides, it was easy to remove the old regulator - yes the cable had snapped. Reassembly was easy, much easier than changing the regulator on the Freelander! A bit of fettling to get the glass position right, then buttoned it all up and all is now smooth as new again. It's a fun car, and apart from this and the strut top bearings, has been a good reliable car - certainly much less hassle than the GT.
Attachments
Before
Before
New regulator
New regulator
Door card removed
Door card removed
Old regulator removed
Old regulator removed
Sorted!
Sorted!