How not to mix Alfas and drought.

alfettagtam

How not to mix Alfas and drought.

Post by alfettagtam »

After a bit of fun around the paddock track, the 156 Sportwagon decided to set the grass on fire. We had it more or less under control by the time the Fire Brigade arrived but were very grateful to them for ensuring it wasn't going to spring to life again!

The offending car is hiding in shame in the photo with the 146.

Total fire ban in our area at the moment. With the grass relatively short I hadn't even considered the risk of setting it on fire but it was pretty scary for a bit. First worry was the car going up, then the worry of it getting to the neighbour's house - it's just on the other side of those trees on the other side of the burnt patch!

Note to self - appropriate parking for hot vehicles and have the water trailer ready at all times!
IMG_20180101_192504_small.jpg
IMG_20180101_191823_small.jpg
IMG_20180101_191817_small.jpg

Kegsti66

Re: How not to mix Alfas and drought.

Post by Kegsti66 »

Is that you getting a telling off ? :oops:
Boys will be boys. :lol:

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

funnily enough, i read quite a lengthy, but none too exciting article on the increased risk of, and therefore argument against, the fitment of catalytic converters and diesel particulate filters in certain area's for this very reason.

the increased exhaust temperature at the stifling point of these devices, and subsequent temperatures at the tip, are bad enough, but apparently at the times that extra fuel is thrown in to perform a regeneration cycle it is increased hugely, and the associated dangers of brush ignition, even on from passing vehicles is quite significant! :o

i must have been really bored that evening! :lol:
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

alfettagtam

Post by alfettagtam »

Yes, I'm thinking that removing the cat on these cars needs to be done for safety reasons!

:D

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

I remember when cats were first introduced over here and we were told not to throw away the heat shields if they became loose as the hot cat could set fire to grass....everyone laughed and said it wasn't possible!
They do keep very hot though, notice that when changing them.
Guess we don't have dry enough grass over here!
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Sud 145

Post by Sud 145 »

Went to a car show one summer and the marshals made sure the cars were parked between the lines of grass cuttings for this very reason.