Minari

robvega

Minari

Post by robvega »

Hi
I've just been introduced to this site by Shrew, so here is my Minari!
070a Ribble Head.jpg
This car was built by Brian P of Southampton in 1994, using parts from a 1987 Alfa 33 1.5 Twin Carb.

Brian sold the car in early 1999 to Kevin W of Basingstoke.

Later that year the car was involved in an accident when Kevin swerved to avoid a pheasant and spun the car into a ditch!
The spin was thought to have been caused by a broken front subframe leg. This was a known problem on some cars, and uprated front subframes were fitted when the car was repaired after the accident.

In 2001 Kevin replaced the original 1.5 engine with a 1.7 8 valve (118bhp) engine, but this only lasted a short time and a professionally rebuilt 1.7 16 valve 135bhp injection engine was then installed around 2004. I think it took him quite a while to get to grips with the fuel injection and wiring!
I bought the car from Kevin in October 2011 and spent the following winter restoring the car back to roadworthy condition, including new brakes, new carpets and a lot of rewiring plus a full engine service to get it running properly again, and some body repairs.
Since then the suspension parts, engine, axle and subframes have been stripped and repainted. The centre console part of the dashboard has been replaced and the original, rather tired seats replaced with a pair obtained from a fellow Minari owner.
Last winter all the suspension bushes, both front ball joints and the strut top mounts were replaced. The gearbox was suffering from synchromesh problems so this was replaced with a good secondhand box and the clutch replaced at the same time.
I've done a couple of track days at Blyton recently and this winter seems to be mainly a bit of tinkering, I don't take it out in the rain as I like to keep the top down!
So that's it for now, hope some of you find this interesting
Cheers
Rob

Veesix75

Re: Minari

Post by Veesix75 »

Very nice looking, is it silver or white ?

A friend of mine called Dave (Nr Doncaster) had a track day Minari which I'm sure he's sold (need to catch up with him). In turn a friend of Dave's called Steve had a road going Minari (Steve was NR Sheffield).

Can't be many Minari around now?

robvega

Post by robvega »

Hi Veesix75
It's white!
I know both Dave and Steve, Dave sold the track car to another Minari owner who at the last count has three. Dave has restored a Minari that had an engine fire which destroyed all the front end, was a write off so can't go back on the road so that's his track car now.
There are around 40 members of the Minari register now but it is believed that most of the 180 ish Minari's that were built are still in exsistance.
Rob

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

a minari is often on my list of cars that i need to get, love 'em.
are you in our area then if you've been to blyton?
keep your eyes out for later in 2015 when we usually have a track day at cadwell ;)
car looks great by the way :D
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Veesix75

Post by Veesix75 »

There you go, I didn't expect 180 to be alive and well.

robvega

Post by robvega »

Thanks for the compliments guys!
I'm near Leeds, Blyton is 70mile for me.
In theory you can still get a new Minari from Paul Featherstone Harvey at
http://www.peninsulasportscars.co.uk/pages/minari2.aspx

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi rob, thanks for joining up,

It seems you have a fan base already eh, who'd have thought it eh? :D

I also know a lovely fella, Alec, in Sheffield with a minari, a very quiet early forum joiner so maybe a few more active members will drag him on a bit more aswell.

I know there is a minari forum, but I'm told its not very busy, and itd be great rob if you want to pull some more folk over here and feather your nest a little! :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

robvega wrote:Thanks for the compliments guys!
I'm near Leeds, Blyton is 70mile for me.
In theory you can still get a new Minari from Paul Featherstone Harvey at
http://www.peninsulasportscars.co.uk/pages/minari2.aspx
haven't the budger, never have had really :) , for a new build

always tempted by project cars though if any were to turn up

cadwell is well within bounds for you then mate ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Hi Rob, welcome to the kit car corner of CAF!

I've met up with quite a few Minari owners on my travels, most consistently Mark Pollard with his lovely gold metallic Mk2.

It sounds like you have done a lot of work to your car, I am hoping to get my own motor back on the road sometime in 2015, once I complete a long list of activities not dissimilar to your own!

Looking forward to seeing more boxer based kits in the future!

Lauren

robvega

Post by robvega »

petrolhead wrote:Hi rob, thanks for joining up,

It seems you have a fan base already eh, who'd have thought it eh? :D

I also know a lovely fella, Alec, in Sheffield with a minari, a very quiet early forum joiner so maybe a few more active members will drag him on a bit more aswell.

I know there is a minari forum, but I'm told its not very busy, and itd be great rob if you want to pull some more folk over here and feather your nest a little! :P
Hi, I met Alec at Newark Kit Car Show 2013, just after he bought his Minari, he seemed keen to get his car on the road but I've not heard anything since!

I've put a post on the Minari Forum inviting people over here, but as you say it's pretty quiet on there.

Rob

robvega

Post by robvega »

KevJTD wrote: haven't the budger, never have had really :) , for a new build

always tempted by project cars though if any were to turn up

cadwell is well within bounds for you then mate ;)
Hi Kev
Minari's do come up from time to time as projects, I found mine on eBay, and I'll certainly look out for a track day at Cadwell, I've been (to Blyton) on my own and it's certainly better with company!
Rob

robvega

Post by robvega »

Spacenut wrote:Hi Rob, welcome to the kit car corner of CAF!

I've met up with quite a few Minari owners on my travels, most consistently Mark Pollard with his lovely gold metallic Mk2.

It sounds like you have done a lot of work to your car, I am hoping to get my own motor back on the road sometime in 2015, once I complete a long list of activities not dissimilar to your own!

Looking forward to seeing more boxer based kits in the future!

Lauren
Hi Lauren,
I know Mark as well, we have another common interest, sailing.

The work I've done on my car is nothing like what you have done to your Nova.

Have you seen the Murtaya, based on the Minari but with Subaru running gear, so still a 'boxer'

Rob

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Welcome to CAF Rob,
I didn't know there were so many Minaris' about.
Good to see the numbers growing on this site. :D

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Welcome aboard rob

Great looking car chap 8-)