Dashboard Blues...

Spacenut

Dashboard Blues...

Post by Spacenut »

So, after 5 years of continuous use, with just the odd hiatus, I finally stripped out my old dashboard in June 2012. It's something I had been meaning to do for a long time, but the scale of the disruption put me off. Then the Nova club, celebrating its fortieth anniversary, was invited to participate in Chris Evans' Carfest at the end of August. Entry for Nova plus occupants was free for all three days, and with Laverstoke Park Farm virtually on my doorstep I was all set to go!

Except for one small thing... my poorly finished interior. I know I shouldn't take these things to heart, but when you enter and exit a car through a hydraulic lifting canopy, everybody wants to see it with the roof up, revealing a piece of wonky aluminium sheet metal, dotted with wonky instruments, cables hanging down underneath and unfinished edges. A comment on Flickr, superimposed on a picture of my dashboard and taken at Auto Italia summed it up for me; “typical kit car interior”.

I had to do something about it, preferably before Carfest. I had just over 2 months...

I failed. In fact, the car hasn't turned a wheel under its own power since! What I (and I suspect many others before me) failed to appreciate was just how difficult it is to reconcile the conflicting needs of aesthetics, ergonomics and practicality, in what is, let's face it, a pretty small space.

But I am getting ahead of myself. First, you have to go back, baaaack, baaaaaaaaaack in tiiiiime...

...It started about 20 years ago; the Green Machine had yet to turn a wheel under its own power, and the interior was largely non-existent. Undeterred (ahh, the eternal optimism of youth) I went to the autojumble at Popham and bought the 1979 Automobile Year Book of Dream Cars, now one of the most treasured books in my automotive library. In it I found the inspiration for my dashboard. OK, it was clearly completely non-functional, and in many respects it was ergonomically unsound, but the 1975 Alfa Romeo Eagle concept interior captured my imagination like no other (sad I know).

Trouble was, the more I looked at this picture, and the more I looked at my old dashboard, the more difficult it became to imagine how the Eagle dash could be made to fit into the confines of the Nova cockpit...

Still, I wasn't going to let a lack of cockpit width and shallow footwells put me off, it was time to get started. First, I took my secondhand Mk4 Nova dashboard as a starting point...

...And cut out the centre section, until only the surround was left...

Trial fit, with the telecam monitor placed in the driver's line of sight...

I bonded low density foam into the surround and started carving the new shape...

...And constructed a bargraph tachometer and display module to complement the existing blue VFD instruments.

More to come!

Lauren
Last edited by Spacenut on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spacenut

Re: Dashboard Blues...

Post by Spacenut »

Completed tachometer and instruments, attached to a fibreglass baseboard. From left to right - speed/odometer, coolant temperature, oil pressure, fuel level and voltmeter...

Looks good at night, although still a long way from being finished. Here's the proof that it works...

http://youtu.be/7OllV5QLd0o

I bought a brand new Rover SD1 steering wheel (I have already stripped off the grey leather covering on the rim, and removed the polished aluminium strip beneath the crash pad)

Size comparison with my old 13” Mountney – got some trimming to do!

I think you can see where this is going...

At last, work starts on a proper steering column shroud... and the steering wheel nears completion.

New Nova logo reverse printed on laserjet film, then PVA glued onto the polished alloy strip. Where did the font come from, I hear you ask? Would you believe, the Continental version of the Lada 1200 is called the Nova? Would you believe the badge uses this font???

I also constructed a new heater unit out of fibreglass, using parts salvaged from my old heater, plus a new, lightweight aluminium matrix. The unit sits on top of a cold air plenum built into the forward part of the centre tunnel...

Yet more to come!

Lauren
Last edited by Spacenut on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Then it was time to mock-up the whole dashboard assembly to check for visibility of the instruments, telecam monitor, accessibility of switches and heater controls and reflections in the windscreen. I used thick cardboard and lashings of gaffer tape, together with blackboard paint to give it a realistic feel...

Montage of warning light display and bench-test image shown previously. Alfasud Series 3 face vents are mounted vertically on the extreme right and between the main instrument cluster and telecam monitor. They are fed by a cold air feed from the heater fan. The ducting is laid into a recess milled out of the foam and back-filled with a 2-part foam mix (the stuff used to make racing seat inserts).

Centre console, from top – Nav computer keyboard, Nav display (blue VFD, to match the instrument cluster), heater controls (hot/cold, up/down, fan 0, 1, 2, 3), secondary switchgear, Nav computer memory (MEM), Nav computer ON/OFF, telecam night driving mode (NGT) and telecam ON/OFF (CAM). Switches are modified industrial process switches, with flush-fit inserts. Legend text is backlit, with red LED light bars for status indication...

All the backlighting is connected to a common PWM control board on the instrument cluster, so flicking the sidelights on simultaneously dims the tachometer display, all of the instruments, Nav display, switch legends and status indicators.

Dashpod overhang ensures no distracting reflections in the windscreen, and the asymmetric shape is a nod to the original Eagle concept.

Shortened indicator and wiper control stalks complement the smaller steering wheel – dimensions are now 14” wide by 12.5” tall. Classic 1970s “quartic” style is really nice to look at, I'm going to enjoy this view!

Forgot to mention, the demister ducts are fabricated out of fibreglass sheet and backfilled into the dash with foam...

Finally, just to show how sad I am, I pressed the little white plastic bits out of my heater control knobs and inserted diffusers made out of spare parts left over from the industrial process switches. This way I can backlight the controls so I can see their positions at night...

So now you are up to date. More news as it happens!

Lauren

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Those pics are FAR TO BIG :lol:
Nice to see so much going on, can't be easy completely re designing the interior let alone all those electronics :shock:
Just for interest what colour green in the green machine :?:
Keep up the good work and the pics (small ones are just as good LOL)
H

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Sorry H! The pictures link to my Photobucket account, so are not limited in size by the site. On my screen they seem to be quite nicely scaled, but I guess if you are browsing on an iphone or something...

Short of re-scaling the images at source (which would be a rather lengthy process), I'm not sure what I can do about it...

The actual colour is a bit of a mystery - I originally asked for Ford Signal Green, thinking it was the colour used on a drag racing Firenza called Limelight some many moons ago. Fortunately the paint guy didn't use Signal Green which is far too pepperminty for my liking; it is basically mixed up specially. Plus, it has faded a bit in the last 15 years. I need to get the car re-sprayed because I wiped the nose off about 6 years ago and the colour doesn't quite match. My new canopy is finished in a red gelcoat so I will fit it and then have the car sprayed one colour.

Lauren

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Spacenut wrote:Sorry H! The pictures link to my Photobucket account, so are not limited in size by the site. On my screen they seem to be quite nicely scaled, but I guess if you are browsing on an iphone or something...

Short of re-scaling the images at source (which would be a rather lengthy process), I'm not sure what I can do about it...

The actual colour is a bit of a mystery - I originally asked for Ford Signal Green, thinking it was the colour used on a drag racing Firenza called Limelight some many moons ago. Fortunately the paint guy didn't use Signal Green which is far too pepperminty for my liking; it is basically mixed up specially. Plus, it has faded a bit in the last 15 years. I need to get the car re-sprayed because I wiped the nose off about 6 years ago and the colour doesn't quite match. My new canopy is finished in a red gelcoat so I will fit it and then have the car sprayed one colour.

Lauren
FORD :roll: :roll: :roll:
Skywalker - don't go to to the darkside :shock:

Got to be Green though :?:
H

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Hi lauren

Love the dash 8-) great attention to detail as always ,can't wait to see this in the flesh :D
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Kermit wrote:FORD :roll: :roll: :roll:
Skywalker - don't go to to the darkside :shock:
I didn't - like I said, it isn't a Ford colour.

These days all the paint shops do is use a spectrometer to work out what the original colour mix is, whether factory of custom, and just mix it up...

Lauren

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Johnboy wrote:Hi lauren

Love the dash 8-) great attention to detail as always ,can't wait to see this in the flesh :D
Thanks John - after nearly two years of work, I can't wait either :D

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

I love your attention to detail Lauren and am looking forward to seeing the revamped Green Machine in the flesh again.

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

incredible Lauren!

Top top work, and of course, I echo the former posters in hoping to see the finished article in the flesh sometime.

I'm guessing a damn good flocking or wrapping in suede is on the cards!

What will be the closest to the Eagle concept finish?

Finally, where do get your modelling foam from Lauren? I think that wouls be the way forward for my trofeo spolier mock up and mould.
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Thanks Shrew - the large foam block I got from a company called Easy Composites http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/ but the 10mm foam sheet I got from my favourite bulk GRP supplier CFS in Cornwall... http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/

You can get various thicknesses - they are used to make surfboards. Glue the sheets together, carve out the shape and then layup resin over the top. Smooth it off, and presto! A surfboard.

Or a rear spoiler :D

Markgq4

Post by Markgq4 »

like they all said excellent job, great work!

its also really different to read your thread ...........

instead of welding up another rusty old alfa romeo!

joking :lol: :lol:

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Thanks Mark - I've had to do my fair share of welding on the Green Machine, but not so much repairs as re-design and re-configuring!

Lauren

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Having seen the space you work with at times Lauren, im not sure whos got the thin end of that one really!
Lol!
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Console Yourself

Post by Spacenut »

Right, where did we leave things? Ah yes, modified heater control knobs... OK, next on the list of things to do was a centre console to accommodate the heater controls, secondary switchgear and nav computer keyboard and display. I laid up a sheet of flat fibreglass and cut two sides, and then used cardboard formers to bond them together with the required taper...

Here is the resulting blank moulding, sitting on the old cardboard tunnel. Heater controls next...

The strips above and below the control knobs are LED striplights. These provide back-lighting for the graphics, while white LEDs in each of the control knobs illuminate the position markers. I needed a small PCB to accommodate the bias resistors and pigtail connectors. I bonded some stripboard under the bracket for this purpose...

All connected up, this is what it looked like...

I used matt black wrap to cover this switch panel test piece...

It's the stuff they put on the outside of cars. I bought a 2m roll of the stuff for doing these panels. Status indicator LEDs shine through the windows cut in the wrap. Substrate is 2mm clear polycarbonate sheet.

Switch panel, nav computer unit and keyboard in place, together with a cardboard heater control mask to test the back-lighting...

Which as you can see works pretty well, even with laser jet printed symbols on clear acetate...

Detail of nav computer, keyboard and heater control module installation.

Next up – the light at the end of the tunnel!

Spacenut

Tunnel Vision

Post by Spacenut »

I began by taking the cardboard mock-up and reinforcing it with cardboard spacers so that it retained its shape, then covered it with resin-proof tape and laid up matt and resin over it...

This is what resulted...

The top of the tunnel moulding is a couple of inches above the chassis rails, so I glassed in a spacer and filled the gap with expanding foam to make it more rigid. You can see the lighter colour foam through the moulding...

...And with extensions added to surround the handbrake mechanism, rebates for the seat belt anchorages, and flanges added at the front and around the gear lever, this is the result!

Tunnel in place. The solid metal tangs of the seat belt mountings are bolted into welded captive nuts through the fibreglass.

M8 bolts clamp the flange and gear lever mechanism onto the centre chassis frame.

Gear lever gate was a bit of fun really – I rollered 5mm of matt and resin into a shallow mould to make the plate, then used a round file to cut the fingers. Because the gear lever is so short, the 1-2 and 5-R slots are cut on a slant. It works surprisingly well, and is a lot lighter than the alloy plate I was planning to use!

You can also see the Mk2 switch plate on the console – this plate covers not only the switches and status indicator LEDs but also the heater controls. You can see the knobs sit flush with the surface. Should look good when I finish the graphics – at the moment it is just a blank window.

Complex, multi-plane moulding supports the left hand end of the instrument binnacle from the top of the console. All removable for servicing...

All instruments clearly visible. From left to right – telecam monitor, speed/odometer, then under the tachometer, water temperature, oil pressure, fuel and voltmeter. Warning lights will be located in a strip between the tacho and the secondary displays below, connect via the 15-way high-density Cannon connector on the right hand end. The LED strip is bonded to a polycarbonate display window...

Cardboard mask holds the diffuser so the warning symbols are evenly illuminated...

The additional LEDs below the warning light strip are the symbol illumination for each of the secondary instruments – backlit symbols showing a fuel pump, battery, oil can and thermometer. The symbols were made by sending PDFs to http://www.digitalslides.co.uk/, who print them onto 35mm slide film. I can fit 4 symbols onto each slide, and the quality is first-class.

Dash top still needs some work, but is so light I have to be careful it doesn't blow away!

Telecam monitor in total shadow – mission accomplished!

Right, you're up to date now.

Lauren
Last edited by Spacenut on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

All very cool lauren :D