Dashboard Blues...

Spacenut

Oooooooh Yes...

Post by Spacenut »

I received my steering wheel back from the trimmers this week...

I had Jack Royal of Royal Steering Wheels (http://www.royalsteeringwheels.com) do the work for me. Perforated leather on the sides and spokes, with plain leather top and bottom and black stitching. Very pleased with the results!

I took the picture at night so it is not very clear. Still, it should appear in daylight soon!

Lauren

Johnboy

Re: Dashboard Blues...

Post by Johnboy »

Evening Lauren
That looks so cool . Dare I say retro 8-)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline
S2 33 cl veloce 16v sleeping
Freestyle superjet jetski

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

been trying to think what it reminds me of....not sure if we've mentioned it before? rover SD1

loving the script on it Lauren, very 80's futuristic feel to it 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:been trying to think what it reminds me of....not sure if we've mentioned it before? rover SD1

Good spot Kev!

It is exactly that, I used a SD1 2.6 steering column because it is height and reach adjustable, and the wheel came with it, but it was just too big! So the old wheel went in the bin and I bought a secondhand Mountney and a conversion boss and used that instead. But I loved the style of the SD1 wheel so I bought a brand new one from Rimmer Bros and then cut, re-formed and re-welded the armature before covering the joins in polyurethane filler, which has a similar consistency to the hight density foam and can be shaped with a file when cured. The re-trim conceals all the joins, so it looks just like an SD1 Quartic wheel, only smaller - original dimensions were about 16" wide by 14" tall. It is now 14" by 12" tall, much easier to handle!

I sanded off the "Rover" text on the silver strip and then polished it to a mirror finish, then reverse-printed the Nova script onto clear plastic OHP media (remember them?) and glued the plastic over the silver base. The clear PVA adhesive prevents the polished surface from tarnishing. It's a bit fragile, but has lasted over 3 years so far. Amazingly, the name and the font come from a European export model of a Lada :lol:

Lauren

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Great work Lauren. Impressive most impressive. I need to up my game .Some amazing builds on here 8-)
Have you got a date when the beast will be finished?
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

Spacenut wrote:
KevJTD wrote:been trying to think what it reminds me of....not sure if we've mentioned it before? rover SD1

Good spot Kev!

It is exactly that, I used a SD1 2.6 steering column because it is height and reach adjustable, and the wheel came with it, but it was just too big! So the old wheel went in the bin and I bought a secondhand Mountney and a conversion boss and used that instead. But I loved the style of the SD1 wheel so I bought a brand new one from Rimmer Bros and then cut, re-formed and re-welded the armature before covering the joins in polyurethane filler, which has a similar consistency to the hight density foam and can be shaped with a file when cured. The re-trim conceals all the joins, so it looks just like an SD1 Quartic wheel, only smaller - original dimensions were about 16" wide by 14" tall. It is now 14" by 12" tall, much easier to handle!

I sanded off the "Rover" text on the silver strip and then polished it to a mirror finish, then reverse-printed the Nova script onto clear plastic OHP media (remember them?) and glued the plastic over the silver base. The clear PVA adhesive prevents the polished surface from tarnishing. It's a bit fragile, but has lasted over 3 years so far. Amazingly, the name and the font come from a European export model of a Lada :lol:

Lauren

very impressive work there 8-)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Kegsti66

Post by Kegsti66 »

Lovely job on the steering wheel Lauren, it looks perfect.
Nice to see your design become reality.
I remember reading how you cut down the old wheel on your thread and the bit of script off the Lada.

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Johnboy wrote:Have you got a date when the beast will be finished?
Alas no - but last year I said last year, so this year I will say this year :D

...And to be fair, I stand a reasonable chance of meeting that deadline. All I need to do is finish the rear window tunnel and get it glazed, interior side panel trim, finish off the main dash assembly, sort out the headlight and side window glazing and get the sunroof/escape hatch grafted onto the green canopy and the job is done!

...Apart from the rear brakes of course. I've got a pair of calipers I have rebuilt myself that are nearly ready to fit, fingers crossed they work!

Lauren

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Sounds like the same story as my 33. But at least I've actually started the resto now . Hope yours is this year tho ;)
Powered by the dark side
Gt jtdm blackline

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

as ever Lauren, it's the details that take the time :(

very impressed with your level of patience and standard of works though 8-)

the temptation to just rush it through to use it by now would have gotten the better of lesser folks ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

KevJTD wrote:The temptation to just rush it through to use it by now would have gotten the better of lesser folks ;)
You are very kind Kev, but remember I have already had 5 years living with the results of the initial rush job. No point in doing that again ;)

Alfasixnut

Post by Alfasixnut »

Only just spotted this - more great work Lauren.
Whilst "rush jobs" usually result in more work later, at least you know what the car can do...... and will do better in the future. So it did provide inspiration!

Spacenut

Brake Saga

Post by Spacenut »

As you know, the saga of my rear brake calipers is long and tortuous, so here is the abridged version. The Earth had cooled and the dinosaurs came, and my caliper bleed screws were leaking fluid all over my fresh paintwork. With no news of my calipers from BCS I bought 3 pairs of used Alfasud calipers from Graham at scrap value (thanks Graham!) and had the best pair media blasted to remove all of the rust and old paint. While he was at it, my friend Neville used one of those natty induction heaters to loosen up all of the bleed screws and pipe fittings, but we left them in place so that none of the blasting media would get into the drillings. I completely dismantled one of the calipers so I could figure out the internal workings, where the seals were, how the adjusters worked, and using that as a guide, carefully rebuilt the cleaned calipers with new seals and lashings of Castrol Red Rubber Grease :D

Once fully rebuilt, I de-greased the outside with brake cleaner and sprayed on etch primer, followed by two coats of Rays Racing Bronze to match the gearbox. When I bought the Rays Bronze paint I also purchased a can of 2K aerosol lacquer to finish them off. Now I know what you are thinking – 2-pack, in a rattle can? It’s true – when you are ready, you punch a button on the base of the can and it releases the hardener into the clear coat. You shake like crazy for 2 minutes and then you are ready to go. You get between 4 and 6 hours of pot life, which is more than enough to get several coats on, leaving 10 minutes or so to flash off between coats. Target thickness is a uniform 50 microns. I always measure paint thickness, don’t you?(!)

The end results looked pretty good considering it was my first attempt at a full caliper rebuild. After leaving the calipers for a week to harden off I took them down and carefully filed off one or two runs that would have prevented the caliper sitting squarely on the gearbox or the pads from sliding into place. I then went through the painfully familiar process of refitting them to the gearbox, bolting on the discs and routing the handbrake cable into place (I decided to leave my handbrake return spring mod for another day). I fitted yet another pair of Goodridge Speed Bleeders to the calipers (the previous pair having been ruined when fitted to the last effort from BCS – more on them later), and gingerly refilled the system with fresh DOT 4.

The brakes leak not a drop. They bled out absolutely fine. Absolutely no suggestion of leakage, even under full pressure. It is such a relief, I’ve become so paranoid about brake calipers leaking. This experience has completely restored my confidence.

In fact, I was so enthused that I refitted the driveshafts and torqued them all up, with the added bonus that the handbrake is working really effectively too!

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures I took last week. I’ve since fitted the brand new pad retaining clips which finish the job off nicely.

The dreaded handbrake cable!

The offside brake caliper (actually the nearside one, reversed in order to aid brake bleeding and pad adjustment from the rear of the car – not a view that Alfasud drivers normally see!)

So what of my original calipers back at BCS? My last communication with them was in January, when they told me they would get me a completion date for the work. I started getting concerned in February and sent them a number of increasingly agitated emails which elicited no reply.

After receiving a number of unsolicited special offer emails from them last week, I send them one last email asking for an update, and the following day the calipers arrived! Apparently my emails had been “treated as spam” and deleted. Mmmm.

BCS assure me that the calipers have been repeatedly pressure tested and are completely leak-free, but I won’t be swapping them out now. They were supposed to be leak-free before and look what happened. I have come to the conclusion that it was BCS re-drilling the bleed screw bore off-centre that resulted in the problem in the first place, and by not fitting inserts the issue is still likely to be there. Clearly BCS have done satisfactory work for other customers, but I have not been impressed with their standard of engineering and will have to put this particular episode down to experience :(

Anyway, on to more interesting things…

Spacenut

Tunnel Vision (Part 2)

Post by Spacenut »

You may remember the first part of Tunnel Vision was to do with the centre tunnel moulding. This part covers the completion of the rear window tunnel. This was previously a piece of aluminium sheet, formed to the general contours of the body tub and extending out to cover the protrusion of the engine into the cabin area.

For various reasons this was an unsatisfactory arrangement – the panel was held in place using a variety of self-tapping screws which eventually stopped gripping, the plastic window was only 2mm thick and was debonding from the aluminium, and last but not least the extended Pipercross filters and Dellorto DRLA 45 carburettors on my Alfatune engine (which I still would like to fit one day) are quite a bit taller than the standard Weber 36 IDFs.

I commenced by making a cardboard template of the body tub, taking into account the curved sides, and built up the area between the carbs so that there would be room for the Alfatune induction system. Because my engine protrudes into the cabin, the window tunnel is essentially the reverse of the standard Nova tunnel – flush fitting on the engine side, with the tunnel extension on the cabin side. I tried to make it look as aesthetically pleasing as possible, with angled buttresses formed from foam sheet and then glassed over. The initial moulding looked far too box-like over the centre section, so I introduced a large chamfer to the panel, which helps keep it torsionally stiff, while still maintaining the clearance around the carbs.

Like the Nova tunnel, the glazing is applied from the cabin side, and butts up against the flange formed in the rear panel of the moulding. The layup is around 3mm thick across the rear, which retains the curve nicely and permits a reasonable seal (even without sponge seals) with just two fixture points.

After a fair amount of localised filling and sanding to get a good finish, I etch primed the panel and then shot a coat of coarse texture coat at it. This isn’t meant to provide full coverage, so the grey etch tends to show through. I used a special top-coat to cover the primer and texture finish, but the overall effect was a little dull, so I tried chassis black instead. This gives just the right amount of semi-gloss finish, I think.

You can see that I have been working on the panels either side of the tunnel as well. These were originally covered in grey carpet, but I am hoping to get away with paint this time, so final finish is important.

I have marked a template for the window glazing in cardboard and will pass this on to Plastics 4 Performance. I will have the window made up in 4mm polycarbonate this time and will probably ask for an obscuration band to cover the bead of sealant. It also allows me to scuff up the surface to provide a good key for the adhesive.

With the canopy closed the window tunnel looks quite at home with the hexatile bulkhead and seats. I took this picture as an aid to figuring out how to deal with the side panels. The floor carpet needs to extend above the body mounting flange and I was thinking of maybe using trimmed millboard or possibly carbon fibre sheet (I’ve still got some), retained with clips to cover the carpet edge. A chrome strip might be nice along the bottom of the panel for extra 1970s appeal but my plans are not fully formed as yet. Trim will be vinyl tuck’n’roll, oriented diagonally of course :D

More news as it happens…

Lauren

junior

Post by junior »

Good effort. Most interesting. Do keep going. :D

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

Sorry about all the broken picture links. I will try and re-upload some of them in the future, but for the time being here is an update on where we are...

I'm quite pleased with this view. Oil pressure sender is developing some resistance to ground, so the STOP RIGHT NOW symbol isn't illuminated (needs sub-10 psi for that) and as usual I have forgotten to pull up the handbrake and flick the main beams on. But the symbols are there :D

Latest attempt at new light baffles in the telecam monitor housing, also you can see the texture finish on the various dash components.

The illusion is rapidly shattered when you look at how much of the interior is still unfinished!

...But overall I am quite pleased with the way the instrument pod turned out, particularly the texture finish, which helps to disperse reflections in bright sunshine.

More progress soon!

Lauren

Johnboy

Post by Johnboy »

Evening Lauren

Well it looks great to me . Keep up the great work. Its going to be a Cool bespoke car that's for sure 8-)