Spotted and for Sale?

PETROLHEAD

Spotted and for Sale?

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Hi all

I spoke briefly with Lauren about this one a short while ago, but then it disappeared and i thought i'd never see it again, but then this morning, its back!

This is parked on the industrial estate i frequent for certain engineering contacts etc, and although as ive discovered today, its not owned by anyone i know, i did have a quick chat with him to suss out a little bit about it and whether it was for sale.

As it turns out, the current owner, claims to have owned 3 previously, and so claims to know his Nova's, stating that this was unique due to the back end. heapparently bought it locally from a chap known on Nova circles, Graham i think he said, from Silver Streak???

Certain other modifications have taken place too, Aston headlamps he said, Cavalier SRi recaro's i think, and an MDF dashboard although the original is somewhere safe apparently.

He has new perspex for the side windows, and knows of a good used front screen and where to get hold of new aswell.

Repairs required are supposed to be minimal, and clearly it needs fully painting.

Its running its original VW engine, supposedly starts on the key and runs well, no problems, and is on the V5 as a volkswagen based coupe

If anyone is interested, he intimated that he would let it go as it is for around £2k+, having seen others similar make good money recently.

I have no idea whatsoever whether he is anywhere near the market for one of these, but certainly seems to basing a large portion of that value upon its one off "Corvette" rear end.

Any good to anyone?

2015-07-22 12.53.15.jpg
2015-07-22 12.52.59.jpg
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Re: Spotted and for Sale?

Post by Spacenut »

Thanks Shrew, that is definitely the one I was thinking of, last time I saw that was at Stoneleigh in 1996/7 or thereabouts. The restyled back end (a common practice when using the VW engine) was highly regarded at the time, and seems to have weathered well. I can put the word out on the Nova forum, see if anyone is interested.

Lauren

KevJTD

Post by KevJTD »

i do hope the car gets sold through this thread on this forum, prove that we are indeed pro-active in the classified department ;)
Giulietta JTD 170
Lancia Delta integrale
Lancia Flavia coupe 1.8 1963
Lancia Dedra turbo
Renault Clio 197 RS

I'm bad with people things
But I should have tried more

PETROLHEAD

Post by PETROLHEAD »

Not for you then lauren? ;)

All i know is that apparently it runs pretty well, no major issues, the auto pop up hood operates as it should, but it does require a repair or two underneath, i'm told from blocked drain holes that allowed water to overflow its channel, ruin the wiper motor, and then settle into a floor /chassis section.

He has just ordered a large section to weld in, from JustKampers, so that will accompany the car or be let in by arrangement.

I feel i must add that i don't know this bloke, from adam, just luckily spotted the car and took it from there, just so you all know :P
SHREW

I AM the Law!

Alfasud 1.7-16v, Charade Turbo SR, & The Dirty Diesels - GT Cloverleaf, 159 Ti Sportwagon, Saab 9-3 Sportwagon

Spacenut

Post by Spacenut »

petrolhead wrote:Not for you then lauren? ;)
Not really, I'm sorry to say. The re-style at the back has made the otherwise ugly Mk2 look a lot better, but at the end of the day it is still a Beetle floorpan under there. It has taken me over 20 years to get my own car to where it is today, so I don't fancy starting over again!

I've put the word out on the Nova forum to see if there is any interest there, I will let you know if there is. For anyone here that fancies a dabble I can tell you that this is a Mk2 Nova with approximately 2" more internal headroom than the previous model (of which mine is a much-modified example). Windscreens are still available new through Pilkington, and can be ordered with an obscuration band which I designed and paid for. The Nova is based on a modified full-length Beetle floorpan, with all that implies (trailing arms at the front, worm and roller steering box, swing axles at the back, or IRS if you are lucky). A 4-speed transaxle with poorly spaced ratios and the VW flat-4 engine. The canopy is raised using a Smiths electro-hydraulic system which was fitted as standard by the factory at this time. The seized wiper motor can probably be restored to working order by stripping down and cleaning up the rotor assembly, unless the mild steel laminations have corroded away. It's a Lucas 15W I think, replacements are available through ebay...

As some wag on Pistonheads noted, the Nova always looked like it was cashing cheques it couldn't afford, but there are one or two exceptions to every rule, as I hope to prove sometime soon!

Lauren